Pool Code, Operators Certificate and Water Recreation Facilities Permit
Pool Operator's Certificate
In order to obtain a Pool Operator's Certificate for Fairfax County and the Cities of Fairfax and Falls Church, applicants must take the Fairfax County pool operator's exam. This exam is provided under Fairfax County contract by the Swimming Pool and Spa Association.
Attendance and successful completion of a pool operator's training
class are no longer required.
- Pool Code: Fairfax County - City of Fairfax - City of Falls Church
- Pool Fees: Fairfax County & Falls Church (PDF) - City of Fairfax (PDF)
- Water Recreation Facilities Permit Application (PDF)
- Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act
- Fire Marshal Permit Requirements for Public Pools & Waterparks
- Fact Sheets for Swimmers & Pool Operators
- Learn more from the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Learn more from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Public Pool and Community Inspection Program
The Fairfax County Health Department inspects hundreds of public and community pool facilities annually and issues permits.
- Complaints about pools?
- Questions from Pool Owners/Managers?
- Contact us: Phone: 703-246-2300, TTY: 711
The Fairfax County Health Department does not issue permits or inspect private residential pools, spas and hot tubs.
Please visit the Department of Public Works and Environmental Services web pages for more information about permits for residential pools.