Be Food Safe Separate
Be Food Safe - Separate
Use different cutting boards for meat, poultry, seafood, and veggies. Raw meat should never hang out with food that won’t be cooked.
Always keep raw meat, poultry, seafood, and their juices away from other foods in the shopping cart.
Store raw meat, poultry, and seafood in a container or on a plate in the fridge so juices won’t drip on other foods.
- Separate raw meat, poultry, and seafood from other foods in your grocery cart and in the refrigerator.
- Never place cooked food back on the same plate or cutting board that previously held raw food – i.e. when grilling out.
- Sauce that is used to marinate raw meat, poultry or seafood should not be used on cooked foods, unless it is boiled first.
- Use one cutting board for fresh produce and use a separate one for raw meat, seafood and poultry.
Cutting Boards – Plastic or Wood?
- Plastic cutting boards will absorb and retain less bacteria than porous wood.
- After meal preparation, wash cutting board with soap and water and then clean with a bleach and water mixture.
Download a BE FOOD SAFE Separate poster (PDF)
To view and print PDF files, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Download a FREE copy now.
Alternate Adobe site for text readers.