International Travel Immunizations Clinics
Fairfax County Health Department only provides yellow fever vaccine by appointment at its Joseph Willard Health Center in Fairfax to clients who are traveling within 30 days. See the Yellow Fever Vaccine section on this page for more information.
The Fairfax County Health Department (FCHD) provides pre-travel consultations and many immunizations that are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) prior to international travel for adults and children.
What You Need to Know Before You Travel
- FCHD provides international travel immunization services to people who live in Fairfax County and the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church. Residents of other jurisdictions can receive yellow fever vaccine from the FCHD, but should contact their local health department about other travel vaccines.
- International travel services are available by appointment only. Call one of the Health Department's five district offices to make an appointment.
- International travel appointments should be made at least two weeks prior to travel to ensure your body has time to build immunity following vaccinations.
- Visit CDC's website to learn more about the type of vaccines that are recommended for your destination.
- Bring all immunization records to your appointment, including your yellow travel card if you have one.
- A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors.
- Bring a list of prescription medications that you are currently taking, including dosage information.
An appointment with a medical doctor is required for all
- Require a prescription for malaria prevention.
- Are less than 12 months old.
- Are greater than 60 years old and need yellow fever vaccine.
- Are immunocompromised.
- Are pregnant.
International Travel Immunization Fees
Fees for international travel appointments vary for each individual depending on the type and number of vaccines that are required. In addition to fees for vaccines , Health Department international travel clinic fees also include:
- Consultation fee (initial visit only): $40 ($65 for appointments that require seeing a medical doctor)
- Administration fee (initial vaccine): $25
- Administration fee for each additional vaccine: $14
- Payment methods: Cash, check or credit card (VISA, MasterCard and Discover only. We do not accept American Express or cards associated with healthcare flexible spending accounts.)
Yellow Fever Vaccine
Do you need yellow fever for your international travel?
Because of a shortage of YF-Vax until mid-2018, the manufacturer (Sanofi Pasteur) has worked with the CDC to make an alternative yellow fever vaccine, Stamaril®, now available at the FCHD Joseph Willard Health Center. Call 703-246-7100 to schedule an appointment. FCHD will only provide Yellow Fever vaccine by appointment to clients who are traveling within 30 days.
If you are NOT a Fairfax County resident, you can still receive yellow fever vaccine from the FCHD. However, any other vaccines or medications needed for your trip will need to be obtained from another travel clinic site.
To shorten your wait, please see the International Travel Immunization Forms information below. Please review the appropriate yellow fever consent forms before your appointment.
Be Prepared to Answer These Questions
- When are you traveling?
- What is the purpose of your travel (business, pleasure, will you be staying in hotels, rural areas, etc.)?
- What countries are you visiting in order of travel?
- How long will you be staying in each country?
International Travel Immunization Forms
To shorten your wait, fill out and print these four forms* and bring them with you to your appointment at the Health Department.
- Health Department Registration Form
- Health Department Service Slip
- Screening Questionnaire for Immunizations: Adults | Children and Teens
- Health Department International Travel Inquiry Form
* If you are unable to print these forms, they will be provided to you at the time of your appointment.
Yellow Fever Vaccine Forms
- Consent Form for Adults Aged 18 and Older
- Consent Form for Parents/Guardians
- Assent Form, Ages 7 - 17