Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Beacon Field Airport
In 1929, Airway Beacon No. 55, a pilot's navigation aid, was installed on this site owned by W.F.P. Reid. Beacon Field is named for the beacon tower. Under the Civilian Pilot Training Program established in 1938, Ashburn Flying Service trained hundreds of pilots at Beacon Field for military service to support World War II. In 1942, the airport was temporarily closed for security reasons. The Civil Aeronautics Administration Region One Safety Office moved here following the war. Veterans of World War II and the Korean conflict trained under the GI Bill at the Lehman/Reid flying school. Many became commercial pilots. Beacon Field Airport closed 1 October 1959.
Date Installed: August 18, 2009
Marker Credits: Funded by Mr. & Mrs. Harry P. Lehman and the History Commission.
Marker Location: Alexandria. Northwest of the intersection of Memorial Drive and U.S. Route 1 in the Beacon Center parking lot. From Memorial Drive, turn north into Beacon Center at the first entrance west of U.S. Route 1. Marker is on the median between the entrance drive and Giant grocery store parking lot, directly across from Capital One Bank.