Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker


Carrolltown

Carrolltown
Marker Text: In this vicinity a small African-American settlement grew from ten acres of land given to Jane Carroll by her owner, Dennis Johnston, before 1856. Jane's son, George, acquired an additional 121 acres from Johnston's heirs in 1899 and 1903. In 1904 George Carroll sold approximately 50 acres to family members. In 1881 and 1884 William Jasper, a former slave of William Hayward Foote of Hayfield Farm, donated land for a school and the Laurel Grove Baptist Church on Beulah Street. A community grew around the school, church and a general store operated by George Carroll at the present-day Kingstowne Village Parkway.

Date Installed:
April 2003

Marker Credits:
Fully funded by private citizen donations.

Marker Location:
Alexandria.  At the intersection of Kingstowne Village Parkway and Summer Ridge Road.  South of Manchester Boulevard and east of Hayfield Road.

Marker Location Map

 


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version