Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
The Cross Farmhouse
The Alfred Judson Cross Farmhouse was built in 1905, replacing an earlier structure built by Cross's father and lost to fire earlier that year. The house was rebuilt on the same foundation using timber cut on the farm and sawn at a local mill. The Cross Farm was part of Robert Carter Jr.'s 18th century land grant from Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax. Cross's grandfather bought the land from the Carter heirs in 1825. Cross's father, a slave owner and veteran of the War of 1812, settled on the land and built a house in the 1840's. Cross's son and grandsons lived on and earned their livings from the land until 1959.
Date Installed: April 2002
Marker Credits: Fully funded by Edgemoore Investment Group, L.L.C.
Marker Location: Centreville. At the southwest corner of the intersection of Walney Park Drive and Autumn Glory Lane. Just south of the "The Preserve at Wynmar" sign and next to several utility boxes. The farmhouse is located west of the sign at 13881 Walney Park Drive.