Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Marker Text:"Frankhonia Farm" was situated on 191 acres purchased in 1859 by Alexandria merchant and businessman William Fowle from Joseph Broders of Oak Grove Farm. His son, Robert Rollins Fowle, sold 18 acres to the Alexandria & Fredericksburg Railway Company in 1871 for a station, which was named after the farm. The station served as the Garfield Post Office from 1881 to 1890 and again from 1898 to 1907. Initially situated south of Franconia Road near the present day Fleet Drive, the station was relocated after a fire in 1903 to the north side of Franconia Road. Regular service at Franconia Station was discontinued c. 1953.
Date Installed: April 2001
Marker Credits: Fully funded by the History Commission.
Marker Location: Alexandria. On the south side of Franconia Road/Route 644 west of Beulah Street/Route 613. In the parking lot of Franconia Governmental Center at 6121 Franconia Road. The marker is in the parking lot median next to the flagpoles.