Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
The Guinea Road Cemetery Reinterment
Marker Text: Virginia aristocrat William Fitzhugh was granted 21,996 acres in 1694: The Ravensworth tract, which was divided into northern and southern halves in 1701 and subsequently subdivided among Fitzhugh heirs throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The cemetery located at Guinea Road and Little River Turnpike (Route 236) was part of the northern half of the original tract. The community of Ilda grew around this cemetery in the late 19th century. Families of local tenant farmers, African American slaves and Freedmen are believed to have been buried at the Guinea Road Cemetery. The remains were reinterred at this site by the Virginia Department of Transportation in 2006.
Date Installed: September 28, 2006
Marker Credits: Fully funded by the Virginia Department of Transportation.
Marker Location: Annandale. In Pleasant Valley Memorial
Park at 8420 Little River Turnpike/Route 236.