Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker


Luther P. Jackson High School

Luther P. Jackson High School Marker Text: Luther P. Jackson High School, opened in 1954, was the first and only high school in Fairfax County created to serve the African-American community. The school was named after Luther Porter Jackson, a prominent historian, educator and founder of the Negro Voters League of Virginia, who chaired the History Department at Virginia State College in Petersburg, Virginia. The school remained racially segregated public school until 1965 when it became a racially integrated school for grades seven and eight.

Date Installed: April 2005

Marker Credits: Fully funded by the History Commission.

Marker Location: Falls Church. On the west side of Gallows Road, north of Arlington Boulevard/Route 50. In front of Jackson Middle School at 3020 Gallows Road.

Marker Location Map


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version