Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Manassas Gap Railroad Independent Line (Fairfax)
Marker Text: The Independent Line of the Manassas Gap Railroad ran through this area. Conceived to extend the Manassas Gap Railroad to Alexandria, grading on this part of the line began in September 1854. Financial problems stopped the work in May 1857. In various places the roadbed provided shelter from attack and a route for troop movements during the Civil War. The Manassas Gap Railroad merged with the Orange and Alexandria Railroad in 1867. Track was never laid along the Independent Line.
Date Installed: September 8, 2003
Marker Credits: Fully funded by Centex Homes.
Marker Location: Fairfax. In The Cloisters of Westmore subdivision off Shirley Gate Road, south of Lee Highway (Route 29). From Shirley Gate Road, turn east into The Cloisters at Andrew Lane. Follow Andrew Lane to the right and turn right at Bulova Lane. Park where possible and continue on foot the end of Bulova Lane. Turn left at the dead end, marker is behind 11325 Bulova Lane.