Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Marker Text: McLean originated in this vicinity after the electrified Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad began operating in 1906. Its tracks crossed Chain Bridge Road between the villages of Lewinsville and Langley, near the Ingleside community. By 1910 the area was renamed McLean, after John R. McLean, an owner of the railroad and publisher of the Washington Post. Storm's General Store and Post Office was built at this site between the tracks and Elm Street. Franklin Sherman School opened nearby in 1914, and the McLean Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated in 1923. Train service ended in 1934. The rail bed is now Old Dominion Drive.
Date Installed: February 2003
Marker Credits: Fully funded by David B. Slan, The Slan Companies.
Marker Location: McLean. On the north side of Old Dominion Road/Route 309, at its intersection with Chain Bridge Road and Elm Street. In a triangular park.