Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker


Shiloh Baptist Church 

Shiloh Baptist Church

Marker Text:
According to tradition, African Americans from the Mason Neck area and others who had recently moved to Virginia from Maryland formed a religious congregation in 1869. They built a log church on the north side of Gunston Road in 1878 where their cemetery remains. In 1900 the congregation purchased the "Gunston White School," built about 1883, located on the south side of Gunston Road. That building has been incorporated into an expanded church structure. The church continues to be a center of community life on Mason Neck.

Date Installed:
March 11, 2011

Marker Credits:
Funded by Shiloh Baptist Church and the History Commission.

Marker Location:
Lorton. In front of Shiloh Baptist Church at 10704 Gunston Road.

Marker Location Map


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version