Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Vale School/Vale Community House
Marker Text: Vale School was built as a one-room public school ca. 1884. A second room was added in 1912. The school closed in 1931 when many small Fairfax County schools were consolidated. In 1934, women of this farming community formed Vale Home Demonstration Club, affiliated with Virginia's Cooperative Extension Service. In 1935, Vale Club received permission to turn the abandoned schoolhouse into a community house. The first neighborhood fair was held in 1936 and the first 4-H Club organized in 1937. By 1938, Vale Club had raised $270 and purchased the property, which members later described as "a place to tie to."
Date Installed: October 2009
Marker Credits: Funded by the Friends of Vale Schoolhouse, Inc. and the History Commission
Marker Location: Oakton. On the north side of Vale Road, just west of Fox Mill Road. At the entrance to the Vale School parking lot.