Fairfax County History Commission Historical Roadside Marker
Approximately 1,200 feet southeast of this marker, on the west side of Difficult Run, was located Waple's Mill. George Henry Waple built it in 1867. For twenty-three years beginning in 1890 the grist and sawmill was owned and operated by Edward Millard. It returned to the Waple family in 1913 and served the surrounding farm community until the 1920's. It functioned as a small "custom mill" grinding grain, mostly corn, for the local market. There were numerous such mills built in the 19th century Fairfax County-several were located along Difficult Run.
Date Installed: November 2, 2001
Marker Credits: Funded by the Waple Family and the History Commission.
Marker Location: Oakton. On the south side of Waples Mill Road, west of Fox Mill Road and just east of Waples Glen Court. At the entrance to Waples Glen subdivision.