Non-Merit Administrative Job Opportunities
The following non-merit administrative, office, marketing and communications job opportunities are now available. Please note that these positions generally do not have fringe benefits such as leave, health insurance or retirement, unless specified in the job announcement.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce. Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.
- Administrative Assistant III – Part time
- Human Resources Assistant, Administrative Assistant IV
- Administration and Personnel Management Assistant
- Administrative Assistant III
- Registration Unit Operator
Agency: Human Resources
Hours: 20-30 hours/week
Duties: The Benefits Division for the Human Resources Department has a vacant part-time 20-30 hour per week Administrative Assistant III position. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides administrative and logistical support for all LiveWell programs;
- Scheduling of facilities;
- Updating EmployeeU with current program information;
- Promotion of events with Ambassadors and OPA;
- Submits and monitors print shop orders for all promotional material;
- Maintains LiveWell page on FairfaxNet;
- Maintains program survey information, and reporting data under the supervision of the LiveWell Coordinator;
- Assists in hosting LiveWell programs at multiple County locations including workshops, webinars, Blood Drives, Flu shot and Biometric Screening clinics;
- Maintains Ambassador distribution list;
- Maintains event supplies and prize inventory;
- Assists with managing on-line challenges and agency pilot programs.
Minimum Qualifications: Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to high school graduation and two years of experience providing administrative support in the assigned functional area(s).
- Two years of experience in an administrative role;
- Ability to multi-task while working efficiently;
- Experience working with and maintaining a database;
- Experience coordinating and scheduling promotional events;
Physical Requirements: This position is generally sedentary in nature; however the essential job duties include walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching and bending; uses hands to grasp, handle, or feel; visual acuity is required to read data on a computer monitor; ability to operate keyboard driven equipment and computer; and, may require one to lift up to 15 pounds with or without reasonable accommodations.
To Apply: Submit your resume to Susan Kirkman at Susan.Kirkman@fairfaxcounty.gov by close of business on March 3, 2017. Inquiries, please call 703-324-4900.
Agency:Department of Administration for Human Services
Salary:Exempt, limited-term position
Hours:30 hours per week
Job Advertisement: The Department of Administration for Human Services, Human Resources Division is hiring a Human Resources Assistant, Administrative Assistant IV. This position is responsible for position processes, audits, and reconciles online time and attendance. Researches payroll discrepancies and corrects them. Processes personnel action requests and position control forms related to employment actions and position status. Works with hiring managers throughout the onboarding process. Ensures that criminal background checks are completed. Orients new employees and makes certain that all employment paperwork is properly done. Consults with HR Manager regarding interpretation of laws, policies, procedures and regulations to department staff. Inputs data into the HRIS System, FOCUS HCM and queries the system to produce requested information and reports. Develops and maintains basic databases and spreadsheets to track personnel information. Provides administrative support for human resources programs. Maintains personnel files. Works on special projects, as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working in a Human Resources Department. Experience with Microsoft Word & Microsoft Excel. Experience with an HRIS System with preference to individuals with experience in FOCUS and PEAQ (a point & click ad-hoc query system).
Note: This position may not exceed 1560 hours per calendar year. Individuals in this position are eligible for limited employee benefits (including medical, vision and dental insurance coverage) and participation in flexible spending programs, but not eligible to earn leave or receive holiday pay.
To Apply: Please send your resume to Stephanie.Davis@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Agency: Fairfax County Park Authority, Park Services
Salary: $16.48, commensurate with experience
Hours: This position requires flexible availability, to include weekdays, weekends, daytime, evening shifts
Location: Water Mine Family Swimmin’ Hole
The Water Mine Family Swimmin’ Hole is a seasonal outdoor water park operated by Fairfax County Park Authority. Each summer, the Water Mine recruits, hires, and trains upwards of 200 seasonal employees, including lifeguards, cashiers, park attendants, and their respective seasonal supervisors.
Under the direction and supervision of the Water Mine Director, the Administration and Personnel Management Assistant is responsible for assisting with recruiting and hiring seasonal staff, tracking their training and performance, processing payroll, and preparing fiscal reports.
This position may require flexible availability, to include weekdays, weekends, daytime, and evening shifts. Part time work may begin as early as January, continuing through the preseason. Full time work (up to 40 hours/week) may begin in February and continue throughout the summer season. The park closes for the season on Labor Day, and part time work may be offered up until October or later to assist with winterizing the facility and other administrative duties.
Employee Hiring and Recruitment
- Advertise available positions for seasonal employment
- Review incoming applications and respond to all applicants
- Schedule and conduct interviews
- Make employment and salary offers under the direction of the hiring managers
- Process hire paperwork
- Coordinate and register employees for lifeguard, CPR, and first aid trainings
- Schedule employees for orientation and other agency required trainings
- Maintain calendar(s)
- Schedule interviews and meetings
- Make and cancel appointments
- Schedule rooms for interviews, classes, meetings, etc.
- Coordinate schedules with the management team ensure that they are available to meet appointments, interviews, meetings, and changing work needs
- Compose routine correspondence on behalf of the director and department heads
- Train and orient new employees
- Prepare and verify completeness/accuracy of forms/documents
- Explain routine personnel policies and procedures
- Assist with scheduling and coordinating mass hiring events;
- May be asked to assist in coordinating park participation in community outreach events
- Verify and submit time sheets on a weekly basis
- Regularly input routine Human Capital Management Enterprise Resource Planning system entries
- Perform payroll functions (e.g., internal collection of time sheets, verify T&A entries, verify leave slips)
- Reconcile and complete daily cash reports and other financial records
- Prepare a variety of complex disbursement forms (e.g., cash sheets, and journal entries) for routing and approval
- Reconcile daily receipts or accounts receivable/payable
- Identify discrepancies and makes corrections
- Collect required documents
- Assist with managing the documentation of employee trainings and certifications
- Maintain an internal system to track employee performance
- Establish/modify and maintain a system for tracking employee onboarding, training, performance, disciplinary action, etc
- Attend and records minutes at regular staff meetings
- Ensure required equipment and materials are available to staff
- Perform inventory on equipment
- Purchase equipment
- Prepare and submitting purchase requests for contracted work
- Ensure park cleanliness
- Move and maintaining the park equipment to prepare for opening day
- Store and inventory of the park equipment for winter at the end of the operating season
- Evaluate the operation and staff at season's end in order to make recommendations for the following season
- Office Management
- Provide administrative support and implements procedures
- May supervise others as needed for the assistance of tasks
- Provide and explains relevant policies and procedures
- Enforce park rules and policies
- Apply safety standards
- Disseminate pertinent information to guests and staff
- Work to maintain an efficient and cooperative atmosphere among team members
- Ensure appropriate staff levels and finding coverage to meet scheduling needs as they change
Necessary Special Requirements: Employment is contingent upon successfully completion of the criminal background investigation prior to employment
Applicants should send their resumes to Joshua.Schmidt@fairfaxcounty.gov
Agency:Department of Family Services, Office for Women and
Domestic & Sexual Violence Services (OFWDSVS)
Hours: 30 hours/week
Location: South County Government Center
If you love working with clients, collaborative teams, interfacing with the public, and supporting a dynamic office providing client-driven services, this is an excellent opportunity (Administrative Assistant III, S-15) for you to join our team. In this role you will champion:
- Provides administrative and intake support for OFWDSVS at 30 hours per week.
- Position will be responsible for input of program data into varying databases, assisting with other data needs and programs, processing all payments for services made to OFWDSVS, ordering all supplies for staff, assisting supervisors with their teams’ needs, and providing administrative assistance to the program managers.
- Offers administrative support around interviewing and hiring of new staff.
- Serves as primary recorder of various on-going multi-disciplinary team meetings and works with the entire administrative team to maintain administrative process functions for OFWDSVS.
- Position will be based at South County Government Center and will provide coverage and administrative support at other OFWDSVS sites.
We’re looking for a flexible, quick learner who has 2+ years of providing administrative support for an office made up of a diverse teams. Seeking an organized, critical thinker with a can-do attitude and strong personal boundaries. Excel experience is an asset and an ability to proactively problem-solve with an attention to detail.
Please review the minimum qualifications for this class and submit a letter of interest and resume to Gretchen G. Soto, LPC, Program Manager, at Gretchen.Soto@FairfaxCounty.gov by COB February 17, 2017. The interview will include a written exercise.
Previous applicants need not reapply.
Agency: Parktakes- Park Services Division,Fairfax County
Job #: ELT-FCPA-16067
Hours: Exempt Part-Time position (2-3 weekdays 8:45am-4:15pm)
Location: Herrity Building: 12055 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax VA 22035
Description: Performs a variety of duties and functions as the agency's initial contact to the public. Receives calls regarding classes, camps, trips and tours offered through the Parktakes magazine. Registers, cancels and transfers programs for customers. Processes registration requests by phone, mail, and fax, creates new member accounts and searches for current accounts using Parknet software. Assists in scheduling activities for adults and children that function at varying levels. Representative will also respond to any customer inquiries about services as well as handle and resolve complaints. Individual should be knowledgeable of all department policies.
Minimum Qualifications: Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from high school or a GED issued by a state department of education; plus at least one year of experience providing customer service in a related field.
Special Requirements: The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Preferred Qualifications: Excellent customer service skills with strong organizational, oral and written communication skills. Data entry accuracy, proficiency using Microsoft Office and Parknet software. Ability to work independently and on a team. Bilingual in English and: Spanish, Korean, or Vietnamese.
To Apply: Please submit your resume by e-mail to Ninette.Heiligh@fairfaxcounty.gov
Date posted: 12/16/2016
Closing Date: 01/06/2017
Benefits: This position is an exempt part-time position and does not offer health benefits.