Budget and Taxes
Tax Relief for Seniors and Residents with Disabilities:
If you are 65 years or older or permanently disabled, and meet the income and asset eligibility requirements, you may qualify for Fairfax County real estate or personal property tax relief, or a rental grant. Information and applications are available at Tax Relief or by calling 703-222-8234.
Budget Process and Documents
The Fiscal Year begins on July 1st of every year. A new budget cycle within the county begins at that time. The School Board's Budget (separate process) is presented at the end of January of every year. The County Executive's presentation of the Advertised Budget for a given year is scheduled for February. Public hearings are held for three days at the end of March or the beginning of April and the Budget is usually approved at the end of April.
FY 2018 Budget
The County's budget webpage has the complete listing of budget information on FY2018 and past years.
Here's the listing of important dates for the FY2018 Budget:
- February 14: County Executive Ed Long presents his proposed FY2018 budget to the Board of Supervisors
- February 28: The Board of Supervisors authorizes proposed real estate tax rate for FY2018. This sets the upper limit for an adopted tax rate - can go lower.
- March 4: Supervisor Hudgins hosts the Hunter Mill District Community Summit. Budget presentations by County and FCPS staff.
- April 4-6: Board of Supervisors holds public hearings on the budget
- May 2: Board of Supervisors adopts the FY2018 budget and tax rate
Fairfax County Public Schools:
Hunter Mill Budget Advisory Committee
Each year, Supervisor Hudgins invites Hunter Mill District residents to join the Hunter Mill District Budget Advisory Committee. This committee is tasked with studying the County Executive's budget proposal and making their recommendations to Supervisor Hudgins for consideration. Click here for HMD Budget Committee homepage and documents.
The recommendations of this year's Budget Advisory Committee for FY2018 are available for review: