Summary of the Oct. 9 Board of Trustees Meeting
Fairfax County Public Library
Unofficial Highlights of The Board of Trustees Meeting on October 9, 2013
This is an unofficial account (not intended to be a full summary) of highlights from the recent Library Board of Trustees meeting, to provide information in a timely fashion in order to respond to public inquiries. The official meeting minutes will be available to the public once approved by the Library Board of Trustees.
For reference, the meeting agenda is online. The complete FY2014 meeting schedule can be found online.
Chairman Willard O. Jasper called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.
Friends Choice Awards -- Chairman Jasper began the meeting by recognizing recipients of the Friends’ Choice Award. Thanks to the generous contributions of the Friends of the Reston Regional Library, each recipient was awarded a certificate and a $25 gift card from Barnes and Noble.
Special Recognition – Chairman Jasper and Karrie Delaney, Sully District, Library Board of Trustee, presented a certificate to Gail Wellock, Youth Services Assistant, Chantilly Regional Library, for Family Storytime for Children on the Autism Spectrum. Ms. Wellock was recognized for the outstanding service she has provided and the lives she has impacted through her efforts.
There was a brief break and the board meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. by Chairman Jasper.
Public Comments -- There were 10 speakers registered to speak:
- Ms. Jennifer McCullough, President, Fairfax County Public Library Employees’ Association
- Ms. Janice Kuch, Branch Manager, Library Access Services
- Mr. Charles Keener, Information Services Assistant, Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library
- Ms. Kate Kroehler
- Ms. Mary Vavrina, Vice President, Friends of the Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library
- Mr. David Broder, SEIU Virginia 512
- Ms. Michelle Miller, President, Friends of the Great Falls Library
- Mr. Esayab Lemma
- Mr. Peter Henry
- Mr. John Ball
- Motion was accepted to postpone approval of the September 2013 minutes to the October meeting.
- FY 2015 Budget Submission on the request for an allocation of $254,867 to provide furnishings, computers and miscellaneous items for the renovation of the Woodrow Wilson Community Library. Motion to accept budget item was seconded and approved. There were 10 ayes and two nays. The motion was carried and the budget item was accepted.
Board of Trustee Reports were provided on the following:
Ad-Hoc Committee – Floating and Discards Committee – Liz Clements
Ad-Hoc Committee - Evaluation and Communication Committee – David Ray
Centreville Regional and Chantilly Regional Libraries Community Meetings – Karrie Delaney
The Library Director reported on the following:
- Draft Bond Referendum List for 2014 and 2016
- Employee Advisory Council – FCPL Employee Bonus
- FY 2015 Budget Requirements for Fund 300-C30030, Library Construction
- Woodrow Wilson Library Status Report
- Facilities Update
- Conversation with a School Board Member
- FCPL Publications Report
- Staff Outreach Schedule
- Surplus Property Disposal
- FCPL 2013 FOIA Requests
- Early Literacy Outreach Visits – October 2013
- Summer Reading Program 2013
- FCPL 75th Anniversary, 2014 – Planning Stages
Chairman Jasper adjourned the meeting at 9:45 p.m.