Policy Regarding Capital Facility Development Opportunities
Section 1 of FCPL Board of Trustees Policy
E., Policy Regarding Physical Facilities states: To achieve the
goal of good Countywide library services, the Library Board will work
toward providing Library buildings and facilities that will adequately
meet the physical requirements of such service.
"…Library buildings and facilities…" have come to mean that library services may be rendered in (1) a free-standing building owned by the County and designed to serve as a library; (2) leased space in a retail center; (3) proffered space in a retail center; and (4) temporary space employed to maintain services while a specific branch library undergoes expansion and/or renovation.
- The Library Board of Trustees is prepared to consider any additional type of legitimate proffer or public-private partnership (ppa, see state code) proposal leading to the provision of library services in accordance with board service standards and site selection criteria.
The Library Board of Trustees will evaluate such proposals against the
When a developer contacts Library Administration regarding a capital facility development opportunity, the following will serve as a review procedure:
- Financial viability of the organization presenting the proposal
- "Track record" of the organization presenting the proposal
- Compatibility of the proposal with existing site selection criteria
- Compatibility with space requirements allowing for the provision of space that will "…adequately meet the physical requirements of such service."
- Conformance with County financial requirements relating to bond funds, etc., etc.
- Quantifiable benefits of the proposal to the County, FCPL, and its customers
- Conformance of the proposal with all appropriate County development requirements
Other criteria as the Library Board of Trustees deems
- The Library Director notifies the Library Board of such a proposal and requests permission to engage in discussions with the developer.
- The Library Director notifies all appropriate county agencies regarding the proposal.
- Upon receipt of a formal proposal, the Library Director and appropriate county staff will review the proposal employing Library Board Policy Y and various county evaluative criteria.
- The Library Director will utilize consultants and others as appropriate.
- The "final" proposal will be brought to the Library Board with recommendations regarding it from Library Administration.
- After review by the Library Board the proposal with recommendations for action will be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors for its review.