Policy Regarding Appropriate Use of Library Parking Lots, Grounds and Exterior Plaza/Porches and Gathering Places
Use of Parking Lots
- Library parking lots are provided for library users and staff for appropriate use. Commuter and overnight parking and any other use of parking lots by individuals who are not actively engaged in using Library facilities is prohibited.
- Parking lot problems associate with the above basic use policy shall be resolved by the Library Director by use of appropriate signage; police ticketing and/or towing; the installation of gates or other barriers; and/or other means.
- The Library Director may permit short-term exceptions to the basic use policy and may also enter into agreements that amend the policy with other public or private entities regarding use of Library parking lots.
- All agreements regarding use of Library parking lots that are applicable for six months or more must be approved by the Library Board.
Use of Library Grounds
Camping is prohibited on all property administered by the Fairfax County Public Library Board of Trustees."Camping" means:
- sleeping out-of-doors;
- erecting or creating a shelter including, but not limited to a tent, cardboard box, sleeping bag, or newspapers;
- cooking over an open flame or fire out-of-doors.
Overnight sleeping in a parking facility or parking lot or overnight habitation in a vehicle in a parking facility or parking lot is prohibited on all property administered by the Fairfax County Public Library Board of Trustees.
If library staff observes any person who has been notified of this rule, including notice by posted signs, acting in violation of this rule, staff shall contact the Fairfax County Police or the City of Fairfax Police and ask that the offender be charged with violating Va. Code Ann 18.2-119, "trespass after having been forbidden to do so." Alternatively, staff may apply to a magistrate for a warrant charging the offender with violating Va. Code Ann 18.2-119.
Use of Exterior Plazas/Porches and Gathering Places
- Customers are to engage in activities associated with the use of the Library.
- Customers are to maintain conduct appropriate to the use of the Library.