Where do eBooks come from?
The library subscribes to several services for eBooks. They are listed below.
What do I need?
You will need a Fairfax County Public Library card.
OverDrive offers free eBooks and eAudiobooks which can be downloaded to a variety of devices including laptops, e-readers, tablets, smartphones and more. Complete instructions and help getting started are available at Overdrive's Quick Start Guide and on our Getting Started with EBooks page. Your library card is required to access OverDrive.
eBook Collection is a viewable collection of textbooks, test prep books and technical materials.
- Some titles are not listed in the library catalog. To access our entire collection, logon directly to EBSCOhost.
- You do not need to create an EBSCO eBook account to view a book, but you will need to create an account to download or place a hold on a title.
- To create an EBSCO eBook account log on with your FCPL library card and then in the upper right hand corner select Sign In.
- If you access EBSCOHost from home, you’ll need to have a Fairfax County library card.
- If you place a hold on a book, you’ll be notified by e-mail an hour after the previous user logs out.
Freading: Additional Free eBooks
Additional free eBooks for a variety of devices are available through a service called Freading. There are no late fees. Titles may not be returned early and are returned automatically when the checkout period expires. They are checked out for a period of two weeks, and may be renewed once.
Gale Virtual Reference Library offers a viewable collection of eBooks. Included are science and biographical encyclopedias , business plans, American decades, World eras, medical and other titles
LearningExpress Library registration required.
LearningExpress Library provides practice tests, tutorials and viewable eBooks to prepare for academic and licensing tests. Coverage spans elementary school skills through adult job skills and citizenship test preparation.
- For full functionality of Learning Express, register for an account.
- A complete list of eBooks can be accessed from the first page after logon.
OneClickdigital combines eBooks and eAudiobooks in one collection, offering the most comprehensive platform content. Find the best literature in a wide variety of genres along with a collection of award-winning children's and young adult titles.
TumbleBookLibrary offers electronic books which include animation, music and narration from a variety of children’s publishers. The online resource provides story books, nonfiction picture books, chapter books, games and puzzles to help children who are reading by themselves as well as those who are building their reading skills. There is also a language learning section with titles in Spanish and French.