What is an eBook?
Digital books are books that you read on your computer. Some titles can also be transferred to a portable device.
Where do eBooks come from?
The library subscribes to several services for eBooks. They are listed below.
What do I need?
You will need a Fairfax County Public Library card.
OverDrive provides eBooks, eAudiobooks and eVideos. Your Fairfax County Public Library card and password are all you need to access OverDrive. OverDrive provides a variety of help features after logon.
Need more help? See these frequently asked questions and answers.
eBook Collection is a viewable collection of textbooks, test prep books and technical materials.
- Some titles are not listed in the library catalog. To access our entire collection, logon directly to EBSCOhost.
- You do not need to create an EBSCO eBook account to view a book, but you will need to create an account to download or place a hold on a title.
- To create an EBSCO eBook account log on with your FCPL library card and then in the upper right hand corner select Sign In.
- If you access EBSCOHost from home, you’ll need to have a Fairfax County library card.
- If you place a hold on a book, you’ll be notified by e-mail an hour after the previous user logs out.
Gale Virtual Reference Library offers a viewable collection of eBooks. Included are science and biographical encyclopedias , business plans, American decades, World eras, medical and other titles
LearningExpress Library provides practice tests, tutorials and viewable eBooks to prepare for academic and licensing tests. Coverage spans elementary school skills through adult job skills and citizenship test preparation.
- For full functionality of Learning Express, register for an account.
- A complete list of eBooks can be accessed from the first page after logon.
TumbleBookLibrary offers electronic books which include animation, music and narration from a variety of children’s publishers. The online resource provides story books, nonfiction picture books, chapter books, games and puzzles to help children who are reading by themselves as well as those who are building their reading skills. There is also a language learning section with titles in Spanish and French.