One Day at Fairfax County Public Library
Libraries across the commonwealth held Snapshot Virginia Day in April to collect information, photos and customer comments that illustrate the impact libraries make in their communities every day.
Snapshot Virginia is a Virginia Library Association and Library of Virginia project. The goal is to use collected data, such as how many people visit the library, use computers, attend programs, etc., as well as candid photographs and comments, to demonstrate how essential libraries are within our communities. Virginia’s libraries are busier than ever these days, with people checking out or downloading books, CDs and videos; using computers; applying for jobs; doing homework; and attending the many programs our libraries offer. All across the Commonwealth, libraries are the cornerstones of their communities, places where people come together to connect, learn and share ideas.
On April 21 we captured just one day in the life of the Fairfax County Public Library:
- Customers checked out, renewed or downloaded more than 46,000 books, CDs, eBooks or eVideos.
- More than 16,000 people visited the library branches (four thousand more and we could fill the Verizon Center).
- There were more than 14,000 visits to the library website.
- There were more than 1,300 computer use sessions.
- Library staff answered more than 1,700 reference questions.
- 179 people applied for library cards.
- 38 groups used free library meeting rooms (698 people attended).
- Library branches offered 13 programs or classes that day which were attended by 385 people including bestselling author Alice Hoffman; poet Surekha Vijh; magic shows; Introduction to Microsoft Word (in Spanish); Cody and BJ music show, an English Conversation Group and ancient Chinese folktales and songs.
- Volunteers donated 457 hours to the library.
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-8380, TTY 703-324-8365.
Fairfax County Public Library
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 324
Fairfax, Virginia 22035
Media Contact: Mary Mulrenan
703-324-8319, TTY 703-324-8365, Fax 703-324-3180
May 16, 2012