The Status of the Redirection of the Fairfax County Public Library
The Library Director and the Library Board will work closely to implement the Sept. 10, 2013, Board of Supervisors request for additional public and staff input before making comprehensive changes to the library’s current operational structure. The County Executive, on behalf of the Board of Supervisors, has directed the Library Board to include the following in its future planning:
- The Library Board conduct an extensive outreach program to inform and educate the public and library employees regarding the proposed changes;
- The outreach program be designed to consider the concerns raised by library users and employees as well as their input and suggestions;
- The change proposals be modified, as deemed appropriate by the Library Board, to incorporate the input received during the public outreach process;
- The Library Board not implement any change that would have a material impact on library users and/or library employees until the public outreach process is completed; and
- The Library Board will review library discard practices and policies.
The Library Board of Trustees will review this motion at its regular meeting Wed., Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. at the George Mason Regional Library, 7001 Little River Turnpike.
The Library Director thanks the Board of Supervisors for the commendation on seeking to find more efficient ways to meet the evolving needs of the public and thanks the public and staff that have already provided thoughtful and prudent suggestions for moving forward.