Dranesville United Methodist Church
11720 Sugarland Rd.FX053
The church, originally called Liberty Meeting House, was allegedly built using bricks that came from the old Sugarland Chapel (St Timothy's Episcopal Church, FX168). In the 1950's the church is reported to have removed the gravestones, graded the area with a bulldozer, and then replaced the stones in their proper positions. Two trenches, thought to be the mass graves of Confederate casualties from the Battle of Dranesville (Dec. 20, 1861), were noted at the end of the cemetery. There were 40+ headstones, some broken or displaced, and an unknown number of unmarked burials.