Source: Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
For daily Air Quality Index forecasts:
- Subscribe to alerts
- Call the Air Quality Hotline at 202-589-1212, TTY 711
On Code Red Days
- Children, the elderly and individuals with heart or respiratory ailments, emphysema, asthma or chronic bronchitis should reduce outdoor activities.
- Healthy individuals should limit strenuous outdoor work or exercise and should limit their outdoor activities.
- Limit driving and when possible, combine trips, telework, carpool or use mass transit, including Fairfax Connector..
- Refuel vehicles after dusk and limit idling.
- Turn off lights and electronics when not in use.
- Keep air conditioning no lower than 78 degrees.
Around the House
- Avoid mowing lawns with gasoline-powered motors.
- Don't use chemicals on your lawn and gardens.
Put off painting until air quality improves.
Air Quality Index Codes
Good -- Green
Enjoy outdoor activities ...
Moderate -- Yellow
Some pollution in the air ...
- Limit driving, consolidate trips
- Reduce car idling
- Conserve electricity, set A/C to 78 degrees
Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups -- Orange
Children and adults with respiratory and heart sensitivity should limit outdoor activity ...
Unhealthy -- Red
Unhealthy for everyone ...
- Avoid lawn mowing or use electric mowers
- Put off painting until air quality improves
- Limit strenuous outdoor activities
Very Unhealthy -- Purple
Very unhealthy for everyone ...
Avoid outdoor physical
activities, especially sensitive groups