SCYPT Meeting Summary - November 2013
Meeting was held Nov. 6, 2013.
Key decisions and actions are in bold.
SCYPT Members in Attendance:
George Becerra, Bob Bermingham, Judith Dittman, Jack Dobbyn, Kim Dockery, Pat Harrison, Cathy Hudgins, Chris Leonard, Jeff McKay, Megan McLaughlin, Richard Moniuszko, Mary Ann Panarelli, Dan Parris, Fahemeh Pirzadeh, Jeff Platenberg, Erin Schaible (for Ed Roessler), Jane Strauss, Douglas Tyson, Daryl Washington (for George Braunstein)
School Readiness Presentation:
Kim Dockery and Maura Burke from Fairfax County Public Schools, and Anne-Marie Twohie and Betsi Closter from the Fairfax County Office for Children, presented recommendations on increasing access to and quality of early care and education programs and services in order to improve kindergarten readiness. The presentation included two video clips:
- Ben Bernanke discussing the economic importance of investing in early childhood education; and
- A visual depiction of the return on investment realized from quality early care and education programs.
Four key recommendations were proposed:
Create a learning network of quality early care and education programs
that promotes school readiness by:
- expanding Neighborhood School Readiness Teams; and
- providing on-site coaching for providers.
Support children living in poverty to reach fall kindergarten
- expanding the Virginia Preschool Initiative;
- expanding participation in the Virginia Quality Rating and Improvement System; and
- increasing the number of children served through Child Care Assistance and Referral financial assistance.
- Establish a team to develop specific recommendations for a comprehensive early childhood data system.
- Establish a team to develop specific recommendations for place-based coordinated services for children and their families in locations near their work or home.
The SCYPT agreed to table a vote on endorsing these recommendations until the December meeting. Between meetings, members can submit questions to staff. The questions will be answered in “Q&A” documents to be sent to the team prior to the next meeting. Members will receive further details and instructions from staff via email.
Information Items Presented/Presentation:
Jesse Ellis described the STRIVE pre-readings and the compilation of existing system-wide goals, which are included in the agenda packet. Members are expected to read these documents prior to the December meeting, in preparation for the discussion on goal-setting and decision making to be facilitated by Jeff Edmondson from the STRIVE Network.