Land Use and Development
Find answers to your planning and zoning frequently asked questions. For maps and information on your neighborhood, see My Neighborhood or Virtual Fairfax. For the latest news in building permits and development, view Land Development News.
Locate staff reports related to land use and development.
Use the Land Development System (LDSnet) to research zoning cases, site plans, grading plans, and waivers.
Commonly Asked Land Use Questions
- How do I start the Rezoning, Special Exception, Variance, or Special Permit process?
- What can I do with my property?
- What's going on in my neighborhood?
- What does the Comprehensive Plan say about my area?
- What is the process for changing the Comprehensive Plan?
- When do I need county permits to dig up dirt, dump fill dirt or clear land?
- What is the bond release process for new home developments?
Complaints and Concerns
- Comprehensive Plan
- 2232 – Public Facilities Review Process
- Nominations to Amend the Plan (Area Plans Review)
- Staff Reports for Proposed Amendments to the Comprehensive Plan
Hearings, Notices, Appeals
Major Planning Projects and Studies
- Baileys Crossroads Planning Study
- BRAC Process
- Dulles Metrorail
- Laurel Hill
- Reston Master Plan Special Study
- Springfield Connectivity Study
- Transforming Tysons
- More Projects
- Applications Under Review
- Bonds and Agreements Processes
- Building Permits
- Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance
- Grading Plans
- Places of Worship and Non-profit Organizations
- Public Facilities Manual
- Site Fee Schedule
- Site Plan Status
- Site Development Forms
- Site Development Publications
- Application Process (Rezoning, Special Exception, Special Permit, Variance)
- Interpretations of Proffers and Development Conditions
- Research Zoning Cases
- Find your Zoning District
- Lot Subdivision
- Residential Setback Requirements
- Temporary Special Permits