Task Force to Consider a Meals Tax Referendum
Fairfax County does not have a meals tax. Cities and towns in Virginia have the authority to enact a meals tax by vote of the jurisdiction’s governing body. However, counties in the Commonwealth, including Fairfax County, can only establish a meals tax if a referendum is approved by voters.
Chairman Bulova has convened a task force to review the pros and cons associated with a meals tax in Fairfax County. The mission of the task force is to consider and prepare a report to the Board of Supervisors to evaluate:
- Whether or not to proceed with a referendum for a meals tax;
- If the Board proceeds with a referendum, when the question should be put to the voters (i.e. what year);
- If a referendum will be considered, should it address how the revenue could be used – and if so, for what purpose.
- May 15, 7:30 p.m., Conference Room 232
- May 21, 7:30 p.m., Conference Room 232
- May 29, 7:30 p.m., Conference Room 232
- June 11, 7:30 p.m., Conference Room 232