Celebrate Fairfax! June 10 - 12 Government Center Parking, Bus Schedules and Roads Affected
Fairfax County Office of Public
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
703-324-3187, TTY 703-324-2935, FAX 703-324-2010
June 3, 2005
Celebrate Fairfax! June 10 - 12
Government Center Parking, Bus Schedules and
Celebrate Fairfax! will pitch its tents in the Government Center parking lot from Friday, June 10 to Sunday, June 12. The annual festival celebrates Fairfax County, its employees, its communities and its resources with exhibits, concerts, performing arts, rides, food and fireworks. The festival’s hours are: Friday 6 p.m. – midnight; Saturday, 10 a.m. – midnight; and Sunday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
County agencies will highlight their resources. These include emergency preparedness at the Office of Public Affairs booth where festival goers can sign up for the CEAN, the Community Emergency Alert Network, and enter a free drawing for NOAA weather radios. The Office of Emergency Management booth will feature the Fairfax County Citizen Corps, American Red Cross (demonstrating home emergency supply kits) and the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (displaying new emergency communications systems). E-government technology with interactive games will be featured at the Department of Information Technology’s tent and at the Health Department’s “Healthville” there will be a rockin’ and rollin’ sock hop – and maybe an Elvis sighting.
PARKING AND FREE SHUTTLE
There will be no parking at the Government Center for Celebrate Fairfax!, however, nearby parking will be available behind the Pennino and Herrity buildings located on Post Forest Road and Government Center Parkway. Free buses will transport festival goers from the Vienna Metro and off-site parking lots.
Free shuttles will be available at Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, running from 5 p.m. Friday to 12:30 a.m. Saturday; 9 a.m. Saturday to 12:30 a.m. Sunday; and 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Sunday.
On Saturday and Sunday only, Fairfax Connector will shuttle passengers for free between the Vienna Metro and Celebrate Fairfax! Starting at 9 a.m., this service will run every half-hour, with the last shuttle returning to the Metro half an hour after the festival’s close.
ADJUSTMENTS AT THE GOVERNMENT CENTER
Every effort has been made to minimize the impact on county residents access to the building – while providing a festive celebration. To accommodate festival activities, however, general parking at the Government Center will be extremely limited, bus routes will be adjusted and some roads and entrances will be closed.
- Road Closures Start Thursday, June 9 – From 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 9, until 6 a.m. on Monday, June 13, the center entrance roads to the Government Center, across from Post Forest Road at the stoplight, will be closed. At 9 a.m. on Friday, June 10, the north entrance to the Government Center, located nearest the intersection of Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway, also will be closed until Monday, June 13, at 6 a.m. From 6 p.m. Friday, June 10, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 13, Government Center Parkway will be closed between Monument Drive and Post Forest Road.
- Visitor Parking at the Government Center on Friday, June 10 – Visitor parking will only be permitted in the lot on the left, closest to the building. If no spaces are available, visitors will be directed elsewhere by security officers. On Friday, cars will only be able to enter the Government Center from the south entrance at Forum Drive. All other entrances will be closed.
- Government Center Business – Government Center offices will be closed to employees and visitors from 5 p.m. Friday, June 10, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 13. Many of the activities that residents come to the Government Center to transact also can be performed on the county’s Web site at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eservices where there is an extensive list of county services that can be handled online, from renewing library books to paying property taxes. To obtain vehicle decals or pay taxes online, residents can visit the county’s Department of Tax Administration Web page at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta.
- Absentee Voting – During Celebrate Fairfax! the Government Center will be open for absentee voting from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 11, for the June 14 Democratic and Republican primary elections. Absentee voters who are not attending the festival should go to the “Green Gate” (south entrance) where they will be given priority parking and assistance. Further information is available at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eb/absentee.htm or by calling 703-222-0776, TTY 711.
Fairfax Connector Route Changes (Monday, June 6, to Sunday, June 12) –
From Monday, June 7, to Sunday, June 12, Connector buses will not enter
the Government Center. Routes 605, 621 and 623 will be altered as
- Route 605 Northbound: This route will start at the Yellow Gate of Celebrate Fairfax! on Government Center Parkway, turn left onto Post Forest Road, turn right onto West Ox Road and then turn right onto Legato Road where regular routing will be resumed.
- Route 605 Southbound at Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway: These buses will continue on Monument Drive to Government Center Parkway, make a right on Government Center Parkway and proceed to the Yellow Gate of the festival where the route will end.
- Route 621 and Route 623: Afternoon trips will continue on Government Center Parkway and make a left turn onto Post Forest Road.
- Route 623: In the mornings, these buses will continue on Government Center Parkway to Monument Drive.
For more information about Fairfax Connector route changes or to make reasonable ADA accommodations, please contact Karen Robinson with the Fairfax County Department of Transportation at 703-324-1442, TTY 703-324-1102.
For more information about Celebrate Fairfax!, please visit www.celebratefairfax.org
or call 703-324-3247, TTY 800-828-1120.