Coldsmith Named Assessing Officers President
Fairfax County Office of Public
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
703-324-3187, TTY 711, FAX 703-324-2010
Dec. 14, 2005
Fairfax County Real Estate Division Director Named Virginia Association of Assessing Officers President
Janet E. Coldsmith, director of the Real Estate Division of the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration, is the new president of the Virginia Association of Assessing Officers. She was sworn in last month at a ceremony in Virginia Beach.
Established in 1949, the Virginia Association of Assessing Officers is a professional organization of assessors and appraisers from state and local governments throughout the commonwealth. The organization’s mission is to improve assessment standards, disseminate information on assessment practices and provide continuing education to its members.
The objectives of the association are:
- To improve the standards of assessment practices
- Educate those engaged in assessment practices
- Educate the general public in matters relating to assessment practices
- Collect and disseminate useful information relating to assessment practices
- Cooperate with other public and private agencies interested in improving assessment administration
- Promote the cause of justice and equity in the distribution of the property tax burden
Coldsmith has a bachelor’s degree in commerce from the University of Virginia and holds the appraisal designation of certified assessment evaluator from the International Association of Assessing Officers. She also is a graduate of the county’s leadership program. Her career has been distinguished with service awards from both the Virginia Assessors’ Association and the IAAO.