Environmental Excellence Award Nominations
Fairfax County Office of Public
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
703-324-3187, TTY 711, FAX 703-324-2010
Feb. 22, 2006
2006 Fairfax County Environmental Excellence Award Nominations to Open
Fairfax County is accepting nominations between March 1 and May 31 for the seventh annual Environmental Excellence Awards Program. Residents, community groups, environmental organizations and local businesses are encouraged to submit nominations. One or more awards may be given in each of the following categories:
• Fairfax County government employees
The Environmental Excellence Awards Program is designed to recognize individuals, organizations and businesses who/that unselfishly dedicate time, energy and expertise for the betterment of the environment in support of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors environmental goals. These goals, which were adopted by the board to foster a sustainable and vibrant living environment both now and in the future, are:
protection, which seeks to preserve the county’s natural resources and
meet or exceed federal, state and local standards for water quality, air
quality and other environmental standards.
• Open space conservation, which seeks to preserve and protect stream valleys, woodlands and other ecologically valuable areas to protect plant and animal life.
• Energy conservation, which promotes energy efficiency and energy conservation with the public, commercial, residential and industrial sectors.
In addition to these goals, the county’s Comprehensive Plan, the Board of Supervisors 20-year Environmental Vision Statement, the Fairfax County Park Authority Policy Manual and other documents contain policy statements to guide county agencies, decision makers and residents. These statements underscore the county’s commitment to environmentally sensitive, pedestrian friendly, transit oriented development; telework; transit use; air quality improvement; waste reduction and recycling; improvement of water quality through effective treatment and monitoring of wastewater and control of point and non-point source pollution; watershed protection and enhancement; parkland acquisition; wildlife and natural resource management; control of visual pollution; protection of residents from environmental hazards such as radon gas, asbestos fibers, hazardous materials, noise pollution and unstable soils; and environmental stewardship.
The Environmental Excellence Award recipients will be selected based on their advancement or support of the county’s environmental goals and policy statements, their dedication of personal time and expertise beyond normal fiscal or civic responsibilities, and their role as a model for others to follow. Examples of activities meriting consideration for an award include:
protecting ecologically valuable habitats.
• Preserving or improving air quality.
• Restoring streams or other degraded natural environments.
• Controlling pollution or mobilizing communities to gather data to measure the impacts of pollution.
• Cataloging ecological assets.
• Achieving regional or global environmental objectives beyond county borders, such as contributing to the restoration of the Chesapeake Bay.
The awards program is administered by the Environmental Quality Advisory Council and is supported by the Fairfax County environmental coordinator and the Department of Planning and Zoning. Award recipients will be notified by Aug. 31.
Key Dates and Contacts for Award Program
- Period of eligibility: June 1, 2005 – May 31, 2006
- Nomination period: March 1 – May 31, 2006
Where to obtain nomination forms:
- Fairfax County Government Center, Lobby Desk (Directions: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/facilities/)
- District Governmental Centers (Locations: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/board/)
- Fairfax County Web site: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/eqac/awards.htm
- Where to mail nomination forms: Environmental Coordinator, Office of the County Executive, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 552, Fairfax, VA 22035
- Where to e-mail nomination forms: EQAC@fairfaxcounty.gov
For more information, call the Fairfax County environmental coordinator at 703-324-1788, TTY 711.