Reston Town Center Transit Station
Fairfax County Office of
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
703-324-3187, TTY 711, FAX 703-324-2010
April 11, 2006
Reston Town Center Transit Station to Open
Some Bus Service Will Change
Good news for commuters who travel through Reston — effective Sunday, April 16, Fairfax Connector bus service will start operating out of the new Reston Town Center Transit Station. Existing bus stops and transfer areas on Bluemont Way and Explorer Street will be moved to the new transit station, which is located at 12051 Bluemont Way across from Library Street.
Bus routes that will be operating from the new transit station include Fairfax Connector routes 504, 505, 556, 574, 605 and 950 and RIBS routes 1, 2, 3 and 4. Within the next few weeks, a new Connector Store is expected to open at the Reston Town Center Transit Station, offering ticket and fare media sales as well as schedules, maps and other information.
Several Fairfax Connector bus routes will change on April 16:
- Routes 504, 556, 574 and 950 and RIBS 1, 2, 3 and 4: Routing of buses within Reston Town Center will change slightly so that they can enter and exit the new transit station efficiently. Route 605 will not change.
- Route 505: This route will no longer operate on New Dominion Parkway or Explorer Street.
- RIBS 1 and 3: Buses will no longer pull into Lake Anne Village Center, Tall Oaks Village Center or the Hunters Woods Fellowship House during weekday morning and afternoon rush hours. Buses will continue to pull into these locations during non-rush hours on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- RIBS 2: The stop for the Target store will be moved from the store’s entrance in the parking lot to the stop on Sunset Hills Road adjacent to the store. Buses will no longer pull into the parking lot. The weekday 5:05 a.m., 6:05 a.m., 6:35 a.m. and 9:05 p.m. trips will no longer pull into Kaiser Permanente.
- RIBS 4: Service on Lake Newport Road and North Village Road will be discontinued. Instead, buses will turn right from Reston Parkway onto Center Harbor Road and pick up the regular routing from there. Also, service on Grace Street from Harbor House to Elden Street will be discontinued. Instead, buses will use Fortnightly Boulevard and Center Street for returning to Elden Street where the regular routing will be picked up.
Additional service changes will take place beginning Monday, April 17:
- Route 553: Five of the nine afternoon and evening trip departure times from the West Falls Church Metro Station will change.
- Routes 951 and 952: Trip frequencies will change from every 12 to every 30 minutes, and the afternoon and evening routing for both of these routes will change.
- Route 980: The number of trips will increase, particularly during the peak of the afternoon rush period.
Further Information Resources for Bus Service Changes
Specific information on the April 16 and 17 routing and timetable changes also can be obtained by consulting the new printed schedules, which will be available beginning on April 13; going to www.fairfaxconnector.com;or calling the Fairfax Connector Information Center at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608. Please note that trip times for Routes 504, 505, 556, 574, 605, 950 and RIBS 1, 2, 3 and 4 will remain as currently scheduled.
For more information, contact Jim Carrell in the Fairfax County Department of Transportation at 703-324-1175, TTY 703-324-1102.
A map and diagram of the new transit station is available at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/pdf/restonbusbays.pdf.