Code Red Forecast for July 18
Fairfax County Office of
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
703-324-3187, TTY 711, FAX 703-324-2010
July 17, 2006
Air Quality Code Red Forecast for July 18; Fairfax Connector Rides Free
Fairfax Connector will provide free rides tomorrow as the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments has issued a Code Red air quality action day for July 18. This forecast means air quality is expected to be unhealthy for all individuals.
Children, the elderly and people with heart or respiratory ailments, emphysema, asthma or chronic bronchitis should reduce outdoor activities. Healthy individuals should limit strenuous outdoor work, exercise and activities.
Much of the air pollution in our area is created by vehicles, lawn mowers, other garden equipment and common household products. In order to prevent high levels of ozone from forming:
- Limit driving and, when possible, combine trips or telework.
- Use area bus and rail lines or carpool.
- Ride Fairfax Connector free on Code Red days.
- Avoid mowing lawns with gasoline-powered lawn mowers.
- Refuel vehicles after dusk and avoid idling.
- Use environmentally friendly products.
- Conserve electricity, keep air conditioning no lower than 78 degrees.
For more information on air quality, visit the Fairfax County Web site at www.fairfax county.gov/airquality. For daily Air Quality Index forecasts, call 703-FAIRFAX (703-324-7329), TTY 711, or the Air Quality Hotline at 202-962-3299. For information on Fairfax Connector weekend schedules and routes, go to www.fairfaxconnector.com.