Air Quality Code Red Forecast for Aug. 2; Fairfax Connector Rides Free
Fairfax County Office of Public
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
703-324-3187, TTY 711, FAX 703-324-2010
Aug. 1, 2006
Air Quality Code Red Forecast for Wednesday, Aug. 2;
Fairfax Connector Rides Free
The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments has issued a Code Red air quality action day for Wednesday, Aug. 2. This forecast means air quality is expected to be unhealthy for all individuals. Fairfax Connector will provide free rides.
Children, the elderly and people with heart or respiratory ailments, emphysema, asthma or chronic bronchitis should reduce outdoor activities. Healthy individuals should limit strenuous outdoor work or exercise and outdoor activities.
Much of the air pollution in our area is created by vehicles, lawn mowers, other garden equipment and common household products. In order to prevent high levels of ozone from forming:
- Limit driving and, when possible, combine trips or telework.
- Use area bus and rail lines or carpool.
- Ride Fairfax Connector free on Code Red days.
- Avoid mowing lawns with gasoline-powered lawn mowers.
- Refuel vehicles after dusk and avoid idling.
- Use environmentally friendly products.
- Conserve electricity, keep air conditioning no lower than 78 degrees.
For more information on air quality, visit the Fairfax County Web page at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/airquality. For daily Air Quality Index forecasts, call 703-FAIRFAX (703-324-7329), TTY 711, or the Air Quality Hotline at 202-962-3299, TTY 711. For information on Fairfax Connector schedules and routes, go to www.fairfaxconnector.com.