Tysons Task Force Outlines 2007 Schedule
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
Dec. 13, 2006
Tysons Land Use Task Force Outlines
2007 Planning and Public Outreach Activities
The Tysons Land Use Task Force has outlined its planning and public outreach activities for 2007, which center around alternative models of Tysons Corner and extensive opportunities for public input. The centerpiece of the planning process will be public workshops to be held in March when the public will help the task force shape the future of Tysons Corner.
“We are firmly committed to using broad-based public input to determine the future of Tysons Corner,” said Clark Tyler, chair of the task force and Tysons area resident. “We are working hard to engage residents, workers and landowners in every stage of this process.”
The task force will finalize the details of the yearlong planning process, providing a detailed description to the public in early January. The main planning and public outreach activities to be conducted in 2007 and approximate time frame include:
- January: Information sessions with interested groups on the process and opportunities for public involvement.
- January-March: Development of a base-case model, along with three alternative models based on the task force’s guiding planning principles.
- March: Workshops to explore the public’s ideas, suggestions and concepts for reshaping the alternative models.
- April: Refinement of the alternative models based on input from the public workshops.
- April-June: Evaluation of the refined alternative models to understand feasibility and ramifications.
- June: Presentation of the refined alternatives to the public for comment.
- July-August: Development of a preferred model using public comment and findings of the evaluation.
- September: Public comment on the preferred model.
- September-November: Refinement of the preferred model based on public comment.
- December: Final model presented to the task force.
An urban design planning consultant working for the county and the task force is following the task force’s eight guiding planning principles finalized this fall after extensive public input. The planning consultant has reviewed results of public input to date and will be talking with a variety of stakeholders during December and January to ensure a complete understanding of the issues and concerns.
The task force will use the final model and the results of the planning process to develop detailed recommendations for revising the 1994 Tysons Corner Comprehensive Plan. The task force’s recommendations will be presented first to the Fairfax County Planning Commission for its consideration and then to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.
The task force’s planning principles, meeting schedules, presentations and additional resources can be found at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/tysonscorner. To sign up for e-mail or printed mail updates, visit the Web page, call the information line at 703-324-1344, TTY 711, or e-mail email@example.com.
For more news and information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news.