Programs Canceled in Honor of Day of Mourning for Virginia Tech
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
April 20, 2007
Fairfax County Programs Canceled in Honor of Commonwealth’s Day of Mourning for Virginia Tech
In honor of Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine’s call for a statewide day of mourning for the Virginia Tech shootings, some Fairfax County events are affected today, Friday, April 20.
- After 6 p.m., evening activities at Fairfax County Public Schools are canceled, including extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, adult and community education classes, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds. Exceptions have been made for unique events (state debate and district music contests) and events where money has been expended (play royalties, charter trips). Contact the local school to see if an exception has been made.
- All activities scheduled after 5 p.m. on Fairfax County Public Schools and Park Authority fields are canceled.
- Park Authority classes held indoors at schools prior to 6 p.m. will go on as scheduled.
- Fairfax County Park Authority RECenters and Department of Community and Recreation Services Community Centers and Teen Centers will remain open Friday evening with their normal schedule of classes and programs.
- Classes held at other government facilities and private vendor locations will go on as scheduled. Please call the centers directly for details on specific programs.
For updates, call the Park Authority hotline at 703-324-8661, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks; or call Community and Recreation Services at 703-324-4386, TTY 711, or visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/rec.
Additional information can be found on the Fairfax County Web site at www.fairfaxcounty.gov and the county’s emergency information line at 703-817-7771, TTY 711.
For more news and information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news.