Celebrate Fairfax! June 8 to 10
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
June 1, 2007
Celebrate Fairfax! June 8 to 10
Government Center Parking, Bus Schedules and Roads Affected
The 26th annual Celebrate Fairfax! Festival will kick off on Friday, June 8, and run through Sunday, June 10, at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax. The annual festival celebrates Fairfax County, its employees, communities and resources with exhibits, concerts, performing arts, rides, food and fireworks. The festival’s hours are: Friday from 6 p.m. to midnight; Saturday from 10 a.m. to midnight; and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Regular general admission is $10 (ages 11 and up); $8 (age 55 and up and active military with ID); $5 (ages 3-10); free (ages 2 and under). This includes all the concerts, entertainment and exhibits for that day. Carnival rides are not included in the general admission price.
This year the celebration will feature top headliners including Live on Friday evening; Eddie from Ohio on Saturday afternoon and Smash Mouth on Saturday evening; and Little Big Town on Sunday afternoon. There will be 80 other performances on six stages located throughout the festival. All entertainment is free with daily general admission. A fireworks display will light up the night on Friday and Saturday evenings. A laser show will dazzle in the Government Center Board Auditorium every half-hour on Friday from 6:30 to 9 p.m.; on Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 5:50 p.m.
The County Expo will highlight Fairfax County resources with displays and activities. The Office for Children will celebrate Jamestown with a 30-foot model of the Godspeed, and there will be colonial games on “Children’s Avenue.” At the Department of Transportation, visitors can use a “Transportation Toolbox” to explore transportation options. Public safety and emergency management personnel will demonstrate services and specialties. The Park Authority booth will feature “Healthy and Strong All Summer Long” activities. Festival-goers can get fun items with news and information sources, air quality and emergency preparedness tips at the Office of Public Affairs’ booth. Fairfax Water’s “wet bar” will offer visitors a chance to cool off and learn about the water system. These are just a small sampling of many agencies represented at Celebrate Fairfax! Come out to learn more about their functions and services for the residents of Fairfax.
PARKING AND FREE SHUTTLE BUSES
There will be no Celebrate Fairfax! parking at the main Government Center building. Parking will be available nearby behind the Pennino and Herrity buildings located on Post Forest Road and Government Center Parkway. Buses will transport festival-goers from the Vienna Metro Station and off-site parking lots. Schedule is below:
- Friday, June 8 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, from 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Saturday. Fairfax Connector Route 621 will operate regular service between the Vienna Metro Station and the Government Center for a $1 fare.
- Saturday, June 9 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. Sunday. Free Fairfax Connector buses from the Vienna Metro Station every half-hour starting at 9 a.m.; the last shuttle will return to the Vienna Metro Station half an hour after the festival’s close.
- Sunday, June 10 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Free Fairfax Connector buses from the Vienna Metro Station every half-hour starting at 9 a.m.; the last shuttle will return to the Vienna Metro Station half an hour after the festival’s close.
ADJUSTMENTS AT THE GOVERNMENT CENTER
Every effort has been made to minimize the impact on access to the Government Center – while providing a festive celebration. To accommodate festival activities, however, parking for visitors to the Fairfax County Government Center will be extremely limited; bus routes will be adjusted; and some roads and entrances will be closed.
Road Closures Begin Thursday, June 7 – From 6 p.m. on Thursday,
June 7, until 6 a.m. on Monday, June 11, the center entrance roads to
the Government Center, across from Post Forest Road at the stoplight,
will be closed. At 9 a.m. on Friday, June 8, the north entrance to the
Government Center, located nearest the intersection of Monument Drive
and Government Center Parkway, also will be closed until Monday, June
11, at 6 a.m. From 6 p.m. Friday, June 8, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 11,
Government Center Parkway will be closed between Monument Drive and
Post Forest Road.
Visitor Access and Parking at the Government Center on Friday, June
8 – Visitor parking during business hours will only be permitted in
the lot on the left, closest to the building. If no spaces are
available, visitors will be directed elsewhere by security officers.
Vehicles will only be able to enter the Government Center from the
south entrance at Forum Drive. All other entrances will be
Government Center Business – Government Center offices will be
closed to employees and visitors from 5 p.m. Friday, June 8, until 6
a.m. Monday, June 11. Many of the activities that residents come to the
Government Center to transact, such as renewing library books and
paying property taxes, also can be performed on the county’s Web site
at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eservices. To pay
taxes online, residents also can visit the county’s Department of Tax
Administration Web page at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta.
Absentee Voting – During Celebrate Fairfax! the Government
Center will be open for the final days of absentee voting for the June
12 Democratic and Republican primary elections. The hours will be from
8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, June 8, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday,
June 9. Absentee voters may experience traffic congestion or delays
near the Government Center. Absentee voters who wish to vote on June 9
but who do not want to attend the festival should go to the "Green
Gate" (south entrance on Government Center Parkway) where they will
be given a parking permit, directed to reserved parking and guided to
the Office of Elections. Further information is available at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eb/absentee.htm or by
calling 703-222-0776, TTY 711.
Fairfax Connector Route Changes (Monday, June 4, to Sunday, June
10) – From Monday, June 4, to Sunday, June 10, Fairfax Connector
buses will not enter the Government Center. Routes 605, 621 and 623
will be altered as follows:
- Route 605 Northbound: This route will start at the “Yellow Gate” of Celebrate Fairfax! on Government Center Parkway, turn left onto Post Forest Road, turn right onto West Ox Road and then turn right onto Legato Road where regular routing will be resumed. The route will continue to operate on Friday evening until half an hour after the festival’s close.
- Route 605 Southbound at Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway: These buses will continue on Monument Drive to Government Center Parkway, make a right on Government Center Parkway and proceed to the “Yellow Gate” of the festival where the route will end.
- Route 621 and Route 623: Afternoon trips will continue on Government Center Parkway and make a left turn onto Post Forest Road.
- Route 623: In the mornings, these buses will continue on Government Center Parkway to Monument Drive.
- Route 621 will continue to operate between the Vienna Metro Station and the Government Center on Friday evening until half an hour after the festival’s close. The fare for Fairfax Connector bus service is $1.
For more information about Fairfax Connector route changes or to make reasonable ADA accommodations, contact Karen Robinson with the Fairfax County Department of Transportation at 703-324-1442, TTY 703-324-1102.
For more information about Celebrate Fairfax!, visit www.celebratefairfax.org or call 703-324-3247, TTY 800-828-1120.
For more news and information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news.