Kenneth P. Disselkoen Appointed Director
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
Sept. 11, 2007
Kenneth P. Disselkoen Appointed Director of Fairfax County Department of Systems Management for Human Services
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors appointed Kenneth P. Disselkoen as director of the Department of Systems Management for Human Services, effective Sept. 10.
Disselkoen has worked for the Department of Systems Management for Human Services for more than 10 years. Since September 2006 he had been the acting director of the agency.
As acting director, he led and managed the department’s activities, including:
- Expanding the program of integrated approaches to prevention services, domestic violence, faith-based partnerships and neighborhood and community building.
- Directing the department’s operation of regional integrated service delivery.
- Providing management direction to the department’s Research, Analysis and Project Services Group’s process improvement, research and analysis support, strategic planning and organizational development, and demographic and land-use forecasting services.
- Directing various human services and countywide initiatives, including the reorganization and redesign of the domestic violence services operations, ending homelessness, gang prevention, community and neighborhood revitalization, and the county’s response to overcrowding.
- Directing the continuing operation and improvement of the agency’s call-center based service access process.
- Providing leadership and support to the department’s balanced scorecard-based strategic planning process and the development of the agency’s fiscal year 2009 budget submission.
- Collaborating as a member of the human services leadership team with individual department directors in coordinating the work of the agency with the overall human services operations of the county.
- Providing executive level staff support to the Human Services Council and the Consolidated Community Funding Advisory Council.
Prior to serving as the agency’s acting director, Disselkoen was the first regional director of the Fairfax County Department of Systems Management for Human services. He planned, implemented and managed the department’s prototype approach to regional collaboration and operations. He also managed the process for programmatic space and operational integration of the South Fairfax County Human Services Center, which now serves as the model for facilities-based service integration for the county. He also developed and implemented the county’s first Neighborhood College program and the initial operational model for regionalized coordinated services planning.
Prior to joining the department, Disselkoen worked for the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board, the Dominion Psychiatric Hospital, the Woodburn Center for Community Mental Health, the Edgemeade Youth Rehabilitation Center and the Hathaway Home for Children.
Disselkoen received a Master of Social Work from Tulane University and a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from Calvin College.
Disselkoen will receive an annual salary of $138,110.
For more news and information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news.