Outstanding Fairfax County Employees Recognized
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
Jan. 28, 2008
Fairfax County Recognizes Outstanding Employees
At the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting today, the Fairfax County Employees Advisory Council (EAC) presented the 2007 Don Smith EAC Award to two county employees. The award recognizes individual county employees who have contributed in an outstanding manner to the well-being of fellow employees. The winners receive an engraved plaque and a small cash award from the council.
The 2007 Don Smith EAC Award winners are:
Paul Carlin, Fire and Rescue Department, for being a caring
and considerate fellow employee. He is well known in his department as
the go-to person when something needs to be fabricated, repaired,
acquired or done. He has been described as the epitome of support and
an inspiration to all, on and off the job, 24/7.
- Lt. Timothy Hoover, Police Department, for his performance outside of his regular job duties as both an officer and supervisor. He made himself available on and off the job to staff under his supervision after the 2006 attack on the Sully District Police Station and is always available for moral support for ailing family members. He is a major force in his department’s support network.
In addition, two employees received honorable mention awards:
- Jeffrey Davidson, Department of Public Safety Communications (DPSC)
Maj. Edwin Roessler Jr., Police Department.
Davidson was recognized for his volunteer work with the DPSC Peer Support Team, assisting new employees dealing with job stresses at the 9-1-1 Call Center. Roessler was recognized for his inspirational commitment to fellow employees, their families and the community. He is donating his cash award to the Law Enforcement Relief Fund.
Six other Fairfax County employees who were nominated received certificates of recognition:
- Linda Hall, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court;
- Glenn Huffman, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services;
- Anne Mace, Department of Family Services;
- Giovonna Perry Ruffner, Department of Family Services;
- Gursharan Sidhu, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services;
- Tracy Strunk, Department of Planning and Zoning.
The Don Smith EAC Award was established by the Employees Advisory Council in 1991 to honor Donald D. Smith, a longtime employee of the Office of Comprehensive Planning who was a mainstay of the EAC for 17 years, retiring his EAC position in 1987. This award was established after his county retirement in 1990.
For more news and information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news.