Fairfax Courthouse Opens New Entrance Feb. 25
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
Feb. 22, 2008
Fairfax Courthouse Opens New Entrance
Phased Move-in of Services Begins
Map of Courthouse
The public entrance to the Fairfax County Courthouse has changed to the front of the new courthouse expansion at 4110 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax. There no longer will be public access through the Jennings Judicial Center. The roadway entrance to the courthouse complex from Chain Bridge Road will be reopened. Public parking will remain in Parking Garage B on Page Avenue.
The traffic pattern has changed:
- There is now a one-way loop to the entrance of the new courthouse from Chain Bridge Road (Route 123), Page Avenue or West Street.
- There is a drop-off site in front of the new entrance.
This marks the completion of Phase I of the Courthouse Expansion and Renovation Project. Phase II will begin immediately with the renovation of the Jennings Judicial Center. During the renovation, a number of court offices and services will temporarily relocate into the expansion facility. When the renovation is completed, projected for spring 2009, a grand opening for the entire courthouse will be held.
Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court and related services will continue to operate in its current location at 4000 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, until it moves into the expanded courthouse next year. To facilitate the General District Court’s (GDC) move into the expanded courthouse, the civil, traffic and criminal offices will be closed on the following schedule:
- Civil – all day Feb. 25-26.
- Traffic – Feb. 29 at noon and all day March 3-4.
- Criminal – March 7 at noon and all day March 10-11.
- Call the GDC Announcement Line at 703-246-2377, TTY 711, for updates.
The new courthouse building will contain:
- Fairfax Circuit Court
- Fairfax County General District Court
- Fairfax County Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court (move-in, spring 2009)
- Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Sheriff’s Office
- General District Court Clerks’ Offices
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court – Court Services Programs (move-in spring 2009)
- Police Liaison Office
- Public Law Library
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Office of Public Affairs Information Desk
- Snack Bar (spring 2008)
- Cafeteria (closed for renovation, spring 2008; reopen, summer 2008)
- Data and Telecommunications Center
- Shared office area for court liaison personnel — probation offices, counselors, social workers, etc. (move-in spring 2009)
The new building design allows for enhanced public and occupant services. Benefits include:
- Additional courtrooms and public spaces to serve the county’s population growth and the corresponding increase in court cases.
- Expanded space to expeditiously accommodate court functions, such as mediation and conciliation programs.
- Advanced courtroom technology to meet current and future needs.
- Building and site security enhancements.
- Electronic “wayfinder” signs listing cases and courtrooms.
- Consolidation of court functions for ease of public use.
- Easy access for after-hours activities as resources are available.
Construction for the Courthouse Expansion and Renovation Project has been underway since July 19, 2004. Funding was approved by voters in 1998 and 2002 bond referenda.