Celebrate Fairfax! June 6 to 8
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
May 27, 2008
Celebrate Fairfax! June 6 to 8
Government Center Parking, Bus Schedules and Roads Affected
Come to Celebrate Fairfax! to enjoy rides, concerts, performing arts, exhibits, food and fireworks. This annual event is held Friday, June 6, through Sunday, June 8, at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax. The festival’s hours are Friday, 6 p.m. to midnight; Saturday, 10 a.m. to midnight; and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
General admission is $10 (ages 11 and up); $8 (age 55 and up and active military with ID); $5 (ages 3-10); and free (ages 2 and under). This includes all the concerts, entertainment and exhibits for that day. Carnival rides are not included in the general admission price.
A new online ticketing system allows individuals to buy tickets in advance. Advance adult ticket purchases provide a 25 percent discount on regular admissions tickets. To buy tickets online, go to www.celebratefairfax.com. Individuals can also save money by buying special combo tickets online and purchasing discounted daily admission tickets from Wegmans (the Fairfax location only) and all Northern Virginia Silver Diner locations.
Celebrate Fairfax! will feature popular musical artists throughout the weekend on the Bud Light Main Stage. Top headliners include OK Go on Friday evening; Bowling for Soup and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts on Saturday; and Emerson Drive on Sunday afternoon. There will be more than 100 performances on seven stages located throughout the festival. All entertainment is free with daily general admission. A fireworks display will light up the night on Friday and Saturday evenings. Free laser shows will be held in the Government Center Board Auditorium every half-hour on Friday, 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday, 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
This year’s Fairfax County Expo will focus on the theme “Fairfax Going Green!” The Expo will showcase more than 40 agencies, and special highlights include the cell phone recycling program; consumer identity theft protection workshops; the seatbelt convincer; remote control robots; and other interactive educational displays.
PARKING AND FREE SHUTTLE BUSES
There will be no Celebrate Fairfax! parking at the main Government Center building. Parking will be available nearby behind the Pennino and Herrity buildings located on Post Forest Road and Government Center Parkway. Buses will transport festival-goers from the Vienna Metro Station and off-site parking lots. The schedule is below:
Friday, June 6 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair
Oaks Mall, 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. (Saturday). Fairfax Connector Route
621 will operate regular service between the Vienna Metro Station and
the Government Center for a $1 fare.
Saturday, June 7 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair
Oaks Mall, 9 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. (Sunday). Free Fairfax Connector buses
from the Vienna Metro Station every half-hour starting at 9 a.m.;
the last shuttle will return to the Vienna Metro Station half an hour
after the festival’s close.
- Sunday, June 8 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Free Fairfax Connector buses from the Vienna Metro Station every half-hour starting at 9 a.m.; the last shuttle will return to the Vienna Metro Station half an hour after the festival’s close.
ADJUSTMENTS AT THE GOVERNMENT CENTER
Every effort has been made to minimize the impact on access to the Government Center – while providing a festive celebration. To accommodate festival activities, however, parking for visitors to the Fairfax County Government Center will be extremely limited; bus routes will be adjusted; and some roads and entrances will be closed.
- Road Closures Begin Thursday, June 5 – From 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 5, until 6 a.m. on Monday, June 9, the center entrance roads to the Government Center, across from Post Forest Road at the stoplight, will be closed. At 9 a.m. on Friday, June 6, the north entrance to the Government Center, located nearest the intersection of Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway, also will be closed until Monday, June 9, at 6 a.m. From 6 p.m. Friday, June 6, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 9, Government Center Parkway will be closed between Monument Drive and Post Forest Road.
- Visitor Access and Parking at the Government Center on Friday, June 6 – Visitor parking during business hours will only be permitted in the lot on the left, closest to the building. If no spaces are available, visitors will be directed elsewhere by security officers. Vehicles will only be able to enter the Government Center from the south entrance near Forum Drive. All other entrances will be closed.
- Government Center Business – Government Center offices will be closed to employees and visitors from 5 p.m. Friday, June 6, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 9. Many of the activities that residents come to the Government Center to transact, such as renewing library books and paying property taxes, also can be performed on the county’s Web site at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eservices. To pay taxes online, residents also can visit the county’s Department of Tax Administration Web page at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta.
Absentee Voting – During Celebrate Fairfax! the Government
Center will be open for the final days of absentee voting for the June
10 Democratic and Republican primary elections. The hours will be from
8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, June 6, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday,
June 7. Absentee voters may experience traffic congestion or delays
near the Government Center. Absentee voters who wish to vote on June 6
and 7 but do not wish to attend the festival should go to the “Yellow
Gate” (second entrance on the right from Forum Drive) where they will
be directed to a satellite voting station. Further information is
available at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/eb/absentee.htm or by calling
703-222-0776, TTY 711.
Fairfax Connector Route Changes (Monday, June 2, to Sunday, June
8) – From Monday, June 2, to Sunday, June 8, Fairfax Connector
buses will not enter the Government Center. Routes 605, 621 and 623
will be altered as follows:
Route 605 Northbound: This route will start at the “Yellow Gate” of Celebrate Fairfax! on Government Center Parkway, turn left onto Post Forest Road, turn right onto West Ox Road and then turn right onto Legato Road where regular routing will be resumed. The route will continue to operate on Friday evening until half an hour after the festival’s close.
Route 605 Southbound at Monument Drive and Government Center
Parkway: These buses will continue on Monument Drive to Government
Center Parkway, make a right on Government Center Parkway and
proceed to the “Yellow Gate” of the festival where the route will
Route 621 and Route 623: Afternoon trips will continue on
Government Center Parkway and make a left turn onto Post Forest
Route 623: In the mornings, these buses will continue on Government
Center Parkway to Monument Drive.
- Route 621: It will continue to operate between the Vienna Metro Station and the Government Center on Friday evening until half an hour after the festival’s close. The fare for Fairfax Connector bus service is $1.
- Route 605 Southbound at Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway: These buses will continue on Monument Drive to Government Center Parkway, make a right on Government Center Parkway and proceed to the “Yellow Gate” of the festival where the route will end.
For more information about Fairfax Connector route changes or to make reasonable ADA accommodations, contact Rodney Johnson, Fairfax County Department of Transportation at 703-324-1442, TTY 703-324-1471.
For more information about Celebrate Fairfax!, visit www.celebratefairfax.com or call 703-324-3247, TTY 800-828-1120.