Emergency Preparedness Training Sessions for Area Faith Communities
June 9, 2008
- Four “Ready… Pack… Go” training sessions are scheduled for faith community leaders this June.
- Training sessions will feature demonstrations on how to prepare a home emergency supply kit, form family and community emergency plans, and stay informed before and during a local disaster.
- All participants will receive a “Ready… Pack… Go” toolkit to help facilitate the campaign at their individual houses of worship.
Area faith community leaders continue to encourage their members to be prepared for local emergencies this summer. As part of the ongoing “Ready… Pack… Go” effort, four training sessions are scheduled for faith community leaders this June.
Fairfax County Faith Communities in Action (FCIA) in conjunction with the Fairfax County Office of Emergency Management will provide hands-on demonstrations on how to prepare a home emergency supply kit, form family and community emergency plans, and stay informed before and during a local disaster. Representatives from the FCIA Interfaith Emergency Planning Steering Committee also will discuss effective ways to promote emergency preparedness to faith communities. All participants will receive a “Ready… Pack… Go” toolkit to help facilitate the campaign at their individual houses of worship.
Faith community leaders may attend any session listed below by calling 703-324-8272, TTY 703-324-7914, or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Interested participants also should contact their faith community to check if a trainer already has been identified for their individual house of worship.
- Wednesday, June 18, 7-9 p.m., Mason District Governmental Center, 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale.
- Saturday, June 21, 10 a.m.-noon, Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.
- Tuesday, June 24, 7-9 p.m., Springfield District Governmental Center, 6140 Rolling Road, Springfield.
- Thursday, June 26, 7-9 p.m., Mount Vernon District Governmental Center, 2511 Parkers Lane, Alexandria.
The “Ready … Pack … Go” campaign encourages residents to prepare an emergency supply kit that can be taken to a basement, interior room, public shelter, friend’s house or other safe area during an incident. This campaign is a collaborative effort among Fairfax County’s Community Interfaith Liaison Office in the Department of Systems Management for Human Services, the county’s Office of Emergency Management, Office of Public Affairs and Department of Family Services, in addition to the Fairfax County Citizen Corps and the Northern Virginia Volunteers Active in Disaster, along with participating faith communities.
For more information about the campaign, contact the Fairfax County Community Interfaith Liaison Office at 703-324-8272, TTY 703-324-7914.
Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 551
Fairfax, VA 22035-0065
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director of Public Affairs
703-324-3187, TTY 711, Fax 703-324-2010
Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
Fairfax County is committed to
nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs,
services and activities. To request this information in an alternate
format, call the Office of Public Affairs at 703-324-3187, TTY 711.