2009 Fairfax County Environmental Excellence Awards Nominations Open
March 31, 2009
Fairfax County is accepting nominations through May 31 for the 10th annual Environmental Excellence Awards recognizing those who dedicate time, energy and expertise to improve the environment in support of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ environmental goals.
Awards are for achievements that occur between June 1, 2008, and May 31, 2009, or for accomplishments that occurred over a period of years, including at least a portion of the eligibility period. One or more awards may be presented in each of the following categories:
- Fairfax County residents.
- Fairfax County Government employees.
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ environmental agenda, adopted in 2004, fosters a sustainable and vibrant living environment both now and in the future. The Environmental Excellence Awards encompass:
- Environmental protection: Preserving the county’s natural resources and meeting or exceeding federal, state and local standards for water quality, air quality and other environmental standards.
- Open space conservation: Preserving and protecting stream valleys, woodlands and other ecologically valuable areas to protect plant and animal life.
- Energy conservation: Promoting energy efficiency and energy conservation in the public, commercial, residential and industrial sectors.
The submission requirements, award criteria, nomination form and a list of previous recipients are available online. Nomination forms also will be available at several county locations — the Fairfax County Government Center lobby desk and county governmental centers.
The awards program is administered by the Fairfax County Environmental Quality Advisory Council (EQAC) and supported by the Fairfax County environmental coordinator and the Fairfax County Department of Planning and Zoning. Award recipients will be notified by Aug. 31, and the awards will be presented in the fall of 2009.
For more information, call the Fairfax County environmental coordinator at 703-324-1788, TTY 711.
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director, Office of Public Affairs
703-324-3189, TTY 711, Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-3187, TTY 711