Patricia Harrison Appointed Deputy County Executive
Sept. 14, 2009
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors today appointed Patricia Harrison, also known as Pat Franckewitz, as deputy county executive. She will begin her new position Sept. 28 alongside current deputy county executive Verdia Haywood, who is retiring in January.
Harrison will be responsible for many of Fairfax County’s human services programs and will oversee the following agencies:
- Department of Administration for Human Services
- Department of Systems Management for Human Services
- Health Department
- Department of Community and Recreation Services
- Department of Housing and Community Development
- Department of Family Services
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court Services
- Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board
- Office to Prevent and End Homelessness
Harrison has served as the director of the Fairfax County Department of Community and Recreation Services (CRS) since 2001 and was acting director from 1999-2001. She has been with CRS since 1986 when she started as a recreation specialist. She will continue as CRS director until her transition to deputy county executive is complete in January.
Harrison has received several awards throughout her career, including the William D. Thompson Award for Excellence and the Heath Onthank Award for Outstanding Service and Contributions to Government Service – both from Fairfax County.
Harrison holds a master’s degree in recreation from the University of Maryland and a bachelor’s degree in recreation from Slippery Rock State University. She will receive an annual salary of $175,000.
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director, Office of Public Affairs
703-324-3189, TTY 711, Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-3187, TTY 711