Personal Property Taxes Due Oct. 5
Sept. 24, 2009
Fairfax County residents are reminded that 2009 personal property taxes must be paid by Oct. 5. Residents can take advantage of several payment options online or by mail, at certain banks or at Global Express locations throughout the county, to avoid last-minute lines.
There is a 10 percent penalty plus interest for late personal property tax payments, and a 25 percent penalty for payments more than 30 days past due. Late payments are subject to multiple collection actions and additional fees. Personal property includes automobiles, trucks, motor homes, motorcycles, trailers, campers, boats, outboard motors, planes and business property.
In addition to registering with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, automobiles purchased or moved into the county also must be registered with the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA) within 60 days of the purchase or move-in date. Residents of the towns (corporate limits only) of Clifton and Herndon are required to purchase decals from their respective towns. Vehicles with out-of-state license plates may also be subject to a $100 license plate tax.
Tax payments can be made:
- On the Internet – Visit us online and pay by check or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover).
- At banks – Pay by check or cash (not credit card) at local branches of the following banks in Fairfax County: Bank of America, SunTrust and Wachovia. These payments must be made on or before the due date of Oct. 5. Residents must bring their bill and pay the exact amount billed.
- By phone – For VISA, MasterCard and American Express, call 703-222-6740, TTY 711. If using Discover, call 703-222-8234, TTY 703-222-7594, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- By mail – Send checks only (no cash) payable to the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035. Payments with a U.S. postmark of Oct. 5 will be credited as on time.
At Global Express locations – Global Express is a Fairfax County
agent located at Shoppers Food and Pharmacy stores throughout the
county. For additional locations, call 1-800-989-6669, option 3, then
option 4. Only cash payments are accepted at Global Express
- In person – Pay by check, cash, credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover) or debit card at the Fairfax County Government Center, Department of Tax Administration, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax. Regular office hours are from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. DTA cashier counters will be open to the public on extended hours until 6 p.m., Sept. 28-Oct. 2 and Monday, Oct. 5; and from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Oct. 3.
Failure to receive a bill does not exempt individuals from paying personal property taxes or from incurring late payment penalties. Residents are asked to check their tax bills upon receipt to make sure the information is accurate. If they did not receive a bill or if the bill is incorrect, they should call 703-222-8234, TTY 703-222-7594 or e-mail DTA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration forms are available at the Department of Tax Administration, or by calling 703-222-8234, TTY 703-222-7594. Residents also can download tax forms, report vehicle changes and calculate the proration of certain vehicle taxes online .
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director, Office of Public Affairs
703-324-3189, TTY 711, Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-3187, TTY 711