Get Connected at Reston Neighborhood College
April 27, 2009
The Fairfax County Department of Systems Management for Human Services is now accepting applications for the 2009 Reston Neighborhood College. The registration deadline for these free classes is May 1, and class size is limited.
Classes will take place weekly on Wednesday evenings from May 6 through June 10, from 6-8:30 p.m., at the Southgate Community Center, 12125 Pinecrest Rd., Reston. A light meal will be served and on-site child care and interpretation services will be available.
The Neighborhood College is an award-winning civic engagement program open to residents interested in learning about Fairfax County and how to work with neighbors, community organizations and local government to strengthen neighborhoods, build community capacity and promote a strong sense of community.
Through a combination of lectures and group discussions, participants will:
- Learn about Fairfax County Government and how it works.
- Understand demographic profiles and trends in community context.
- Learn about available resources and services and ways to gain access.
- Find out how to work effectively within diverse neighborhoods and communities.
- Explore ways to get involved in their communities.
- Become effective community leaders.
For more information or to request an application, contact Denise Taramasco, Fairfax County Department of Systems Management for Human Services, at 703-787-4962, TTY 703-803-7914, or by e-mail.
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director, Office of Public Affairs
703-324-3189, TTY 711, Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-3187, TTY 711