Celebrate Fairfax! June 11 to 13
June 3, 2010
Come to Celebrate Fairfax! to enjoy rides, concerts, performing arts, exhibits, food and fireworks. The annual event is Friday, June 11, through Sunday, June 13, at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax. The festival’s hours are: Friday, 6 p.m. to midnight; Saturday, 10 a.m. to midnight; and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
General admission is $12 (ages 11 and up); $10 (age 55 and up and active military with ID); $5 (ages 3-10); and free (ages 2 and under). This includes all the concerts, entertainment and exhibits for that day. Carnival rides are not included in the general admission price.
Tickets can be purchased in advance through Celebrate Fairfax!’s online ticketing system. Advance adult ticket purchases provide a 25 percent discount on regular admissions tickets. Festival-goers also can save money by buying special combo tickets online and purchasing discounted daily admission tickets from Wegmans in Fairfax.
Celebrate Fairfax! will feature popular musical artists throughout the weekend. Top headliners include Rusted Root on Friday evening; Carolina Liar and KC & The Sunshine Band on Saturday; and Josh Thompson and Jimmy Wayne on Sunday afternoon. There will be more than 60 performances on five stages located throughout the festival. All entertainment is free with daily general admission. A fireworks display will light up the night Friday and Saturday evenings. BLAZE, a comedy hypnotist, will offer free shows in the Government Center Board Auditorium Friday at 10 p.m. and Saturday at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
In addition, there are enhancements to the already extensive family programming at Celebrate Fairfax! These include new program areas such as Mini-Golf; the second annual Fairfax County Karaoke Championship; the all new ArtsFairfax.org Stage in the Better Living Expo and a Cares for the Troops hospitality tent.
Parking and Free Shuttle Buses
There will be no Celebrate Fairfax! parking at the main Government Center building. Parking will be available nearby behind the Pennino and Herrity buildings located on Post Forest Road and Government Center Parkway. Buses will transport festival-goers from the Vienna Metro Station and off-site parking lots. The schedule is below:
- Friday, June 11 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, 5 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. (Saturday). Fairfax Connector Route 621 will operate regular service between the Vienna Metro Station and the Government Center for $1.45 (cash) or $1.35 (SmarTrip).
- Saturday, June 12 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, 9 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. (Sunday). Free Fairfax Connector buses from the Vienna Metro Station every half-hour starting at 9 a.m.; the last shuttle will return to the Vienna Metro Station half an hour after the festival’s close.
- Sunday, June 13 – Free shuttle service from Fair Lakes Circle and Fair Oaks Mall, 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Free Fairfax Connector buses from the Vienna Metro Station every hour starting at 9:30 a.m.; the last shuttle will return to the Vienna Metro Station half an hour after the festival’s close at 8 p.m.
Adjustments at the Government Center
Every effort has been made to minimize the impact on access to the Government Center. However, to accommodate festival activities, parking for visitors to the Fairfax County Government Center will be extremely limited; bus routes will be adjusted; and some roads and entrances will be closed.
- Road Closures Begin Thursday, June 10 – From 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 10, until 6 a.m. on Monday, June 14, the center entrance roads to the Government Center, across from Post Forest Road at the stoplight, will be closed. At 9 a.m. on Friday, June 11, the north entrance to the Government Center, located nearest the intersection of Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway, also will be closed until Monday, June 14, at 6 a.m. From 6 p.m. Friday, June 11, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 14, Government Center Parkway will be closed between Monument Drive and Post Forest Road.
- Visitor Access and Parking at the Government Center on Friday, June 11 – Visitor parking during business hours will only be permitted in the lot on the left, closest to the building. If no spaces are available, visitors will be directed elsewhere by security officers. Vehicles will only be able to enter the Government Center from the south entrance near Forum Drive. All other entrances will be closed.
- Government Center Business – Government Center offices will be closed to employees and visitors from 5 p.m. Friday, June 11, until 6 a.m. Monday, June 14. Many of the activities that residents come to the Government Center to transact, such as renewing library books and paying property taxes, also can be performed online.
Fairfax Connector Route Changes
(Monday, June 7, to Sunday, June 13) – From Monday, June 7, to
Sunday, June 13, Fairfax Connector buses will not enter the Government
Center. Routes 605, 621 and 623 will be altered as follows:
- Route 605 Northbound: This route will start at the “Yellow Gate” of Celebrate Fairfax! on Government Center Parkway, turn left onto Post Forest Road, turn right onto West Ox Road and then turn right onto Legato Road where regular routing will be resumed. The route will continue to operate on Friday evening until half an hour after the festival’s close.
- Route 605 Southbound at Monument Drive and Government Center Parkway: These buses will continue on Monument Drive to Government Center Parkway, make a right on Government Center Parkway and proceed to the “Yellow Gate” of the festival where the route will end.
- Route 621 and Route 623: Afternoon trips will continue on Government Center Parkway and make a left turn onto Post Forest Road.
- Route 623: In the mornings, these buses will continue on Government Center Parkway to Monument Drive.
- Route 621: It will continue to operate between the Vienna Metro Station and the Government Center on Friday evening until half an hour after the festival’s close. The fare for Fairfax Connector bus service is $1.45 (cash) or $1.35 (SmarTrip).
More information is at Celebrate Fairfax!, or call 703-324-3247, TTY 711.
Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director, Office of Public Affairs
703-324-3189, TTY 711, Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-3187, TTY 711