Know Your Rights When a Door-to-Door Solicitor Knocks

Sept. 22, 2010
OPA 149/10

News Highlights

  • Solicitors are required to carry a valid Fairfax County Solicitor's License with them.
  • Report violations and concerns about strangers in a neighborhood going door to door to the Fairfax County Police Department's non-emergency number, 703-691-2131, TTY 711.

No matter what goods or services door-to-door solicitors offer — cable services, home improvements, home security alarms, magazine subscriptions, lawn or cleaning services and more — they are required to have a license issued by the Fairfax County Regulation and Licensing Branch. The Fairfax County Solicitor’s License is a laminated card with the solicitor’s photograph, name and other information. Solicitors may only go door to door between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m., and are required to leave when asked.

Residents should immediately report violations and concerns about strangers in a neighborhood going door to door to the Fairfax County Police Department’s non-emergency number, 703-691-2131, TTY 711.

Before you agree to buy goods or services from a door-to-door salesperson, it is important to know your rights under the federal Cooling-Off Rule and the Virginia Home Solicitation Sales Act, including your right to cancel and the seller’s obligations. Together, these laws apply to virtually all purchases of $25 or more made in your home or at any location that is not the seller's permanent place of business.  

Solicitors from accredited educational institutions or solicitors selling insurance, newspapers, farm products grown by the seller (meat excluded) are not required to have a County Solicitor License.  Non-profit organizations registered with the state of Virginia and/or Fairfax County must carry identification indicating their registration but are not required to have a County Solicitor License.

For advice, Consumer Affairs Branch investigators are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for walk-in assistance in Suite 433, Fairfax County Government Center  or call 703-222-8435, TTY 711. Questions also can be submitted by e-mail. The Consumer Affairs Branch helps with filing consumer complaints, answering questions, compiling complaint histories, mediation, arbitration and consumer protection laws.


Get News. Get Information. Get Fairfax County.Contact: Merni Fitzgerald, Director, Office of Public Affairs
703-324-3189, TTY 711, Media Pager: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-3187, TTY 711

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version