Public Invited to Building Safety Month Kickoff Lunch
April 18, 2011
To kick off International Building Safety Month, the public is invited to free presentations and lunch on Monday, May 2, at 12:30 p.m. at the Falls Church Community Center, 223 Litte Falls Road, Falls Church.
This year’s lunch, which was jointly organized by building officials from Fairfax, Arlington, and Prince William counties; the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, and Falls Church; and the town of Herndon, focuses public attention on accessibility and building safety. The event will be attended by building, fire, zoning, and health officials from all seven jurisdictions.
“Accessibility Issues in Building Safety” and “Building Safety During Man-Made or Natural Disasters” are the focus for presentations that will be delivered by:
- Craig Buckley and Manuel Barrero, Fairfax County HAZMAT Special Operations and Investigative Divisions
- David McKernan and Bruce McFarlane, Fairfax County Office of Emergency Management
- Peter Todd, Virginia Department of Transportation
- Marsha Mazz, U.S. Access Board
- Anna Maynard, Arlington County Office of Human Rights
May is International Building Safety Month, and building codes protect people and property becuase they ensure that buildings are properly constructed and safe.
While this event is free, RSVPs are required. Contact Patrick Nnaji, Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, by e-mail or call 703-324-1910, TTY 711