County’s Green Purchasing Efforts Cited by National Association of Counties
Oct. 24, 2011
Fairfax County’s Department of Purchasing and Supply Management has been cited by the National Association of Counties as a success story for its green purchasing efforts. The green purchasing program focuses on environmentally friendly product acquisition and responsible equipment disposal, which also have resulted in cost savings to the county.
Highlights of the program include:
- Purchase and use of green cleaning products in county facilities, where possible.
- Use of green office product catalogue by county agencies.
- Vendor contract clauses requesting use of green products.
- Development of an internal green toolkit to assist county employees with environmentally sensitive equipment disposal, including information on options such as consignment, recycling and reuse.
- An inventory of more than 270 county contracts is underway to rate products on environmental and financial factors, as well as the ease in finding a green alternative product.
- A partnership with the Fairfax Employees for Environmental Excellence, an advisory group of county employees who support the county's efforts to promote environmentally sensitive county operations.
- Research and implementation of best practices for green purchasing being successfully used by other counties and cities.
More information about Fairfax County environment and green programs, policies and news is online.