Fairfax County Mobile Apps - There’s an Award for That!
Oct. 3, 2011
- County mobile apps place government in the palm of your hand.
- Available for Android, iPhone/iPad and BlackBerry.
Fairfax County received the Governor’s Technology Award for innovation in local government for its mobile applications. The award was presented at the annual Commonwealth of Virginia’s Innovative Technology Symposium (COVITS) on Sept. 26.
Introduced this year, the county’s iPhone/iPad, Android and BlackBerry mobile applications (apps) place government in the palm of your hand through 24/7 access to government information and services.
With the explosive growth in mobile technology and consumer use of smart devices, Fairfax County Government is reshaping the public’s experience by delivering information in a more convenient, accessible platform.
This first version of the app includes a variety of features, along with the ability to search the entire website for the information or navigate through the county’s mobile website m.fairfaxcounty.gov:
latest updates about major incidents or weather events including
text/email alerts, social media, emergency RSS news feed, important
phone numbers, seasonal preparedness information, recovery resources,
mobile weather forecast and links to key county, state and federal
- NewsWire: Each business day, the Fairfax County NewsWire features the latest headlines from all county departments.
- Contact Us: One-touch calling of our main 703-FAIRFAX phone number, critical emergency phone numbers, libraries, parks, courts and department/program listings.
- Calendars: Browse upcoming public meetings, community events, tax deadlines and more.
- Library: Patrons can browse the online catalog, get hours and locations, check reviews, place and modify holds for pick-up, check account status and renew material.
- Locations: Use the GPS features of your device to find the nearest library, park, community center, fire station, police station and government buildings.
- Services: Key services like Childcare Central. The second version of the app will include more mobile-friendly services.
- Social Media: Links to the mobile versions of all official county government social media sites on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr and podcasts on iTunes. Like us, follow us, watch a video, view pictures or listen to podcasts through our coordinated social media efforts.
- Board of Supervisors: Quick access to the Board of Supervisors with links to mobile versions of their Web pages, meeting schedule, agendas and more.
- Transportation: Key links to major transportation resources such as the Fairfax Connector bus, Metro, VRE, bikes, pedestrians, Virginia Department of Transportation and more.